Chapter 2

The soldiers have moved in. There's so much uneasiness now. Everyone is on high alert. Aiden's room has been placed next to mine which I'm pretty sure was on purpose. Not only is my corridor roomed to guards but soldiers now as well. I'm wide awake in the middle of the night. So much tension. Nick's room is opposite to mine so I could brave the distance. So, I tip toed to my door not that it would matter. I opened the door and walked out closing the door as quietly and softly as I could. I felt an arm wrap around my waist startling me, I turn to the person who I knew it was.

"What are you doing up Nova?" Aiden questioned his voice deep and husky.

His words repeated through my mind before I finally answered.

"What are you doing outside my door?" I say fully aware how close Aiden was to me.

"I asked you first Nova." Aiden says roughly as his arm tightens around my waist pulling me closer to his body.

"You answer first, and I might consider answering Aiden." I say trying to muster confidence to challenge him.

"Mm Nova as tempting as you are I need an answer." Aiden says.

His face closer to mine as he spoke. His answer running through my mind. I had to much curiosity to why he was outside in the corridor, but my stubbornness wanted to keep challenging him. I finally caved knowing that I wouldn't get an answer unless I spoke first.

"Fine." I sighed. "I couldn't sleep."

"That doesn't explain why you're out of your room." Aiden replied.

"I don't have to answer that until you answer mine." I answered.

"Fine. I couldn't sleep either. I was going to knock on your door but decided against it." Aiden sighs running his other hand through his hair and looking directly into my eyes.

"I was going to see if Nick was up. I usually talk to him when I can't sleep." I say becoming even more aware at how close we were.

"Well, I guess I shouldn't get in your way then." Aiden sighs almost disappointedly releasing his grip around my waist.

"But." I speak. "You could do."

I noticed Aiden looking at me as I moved away from him opening my door and inviting him inside. He didn't question me. He followed me and looked around. He sat next to me on my bed leaning against the wall. The conversation flowing as it came and went. With him next to me I felt protected again. Tired from the day I laid my head on his shoulder. He moved me so that we were laying down and my head was rested on his chest. I could hear the steady rhythm of his heart. I felt calm and at ease. His arms were wrapped around me engulfing me into his warmth. So, at peace my eyes dropped heavily into a restful sleep. When I woke up, I was surprised to see that I wasn't dripping in sweat, instead my mind was at ease. I didn't have any nightmares. Strange. I looked over at Aiden who was still asleep, I didn't dare to move. So, since I didn't want to wake him, I admired him instead. It didn't last long. He pulled me closer to him and buried his face into my neck. Knowing that I was watching him. I felt a small smile against my neck. I've been caught and he thought it was amusing. I felt tempted to nudge him in the arm, but I didn't get the chance because he let go of me. The warmth that was surrounding me was gone.

"Where are you going?" I ask.

"Why do you miss me already" Aiden said with a smile.

I opened my arms out to him and instead of joining me back in bed he pulled me up and into his arms. I felt the warmth again and had to stop myself from physically melting into him. Even though both of our questions were left unanswered we got to enjoy each other's company. I knew the moment would end as quickly as it started. But what I didn't realise is that moments like these would mean the world to me. Aiden kissed my forehead and without another word he was gone. And my forehead burned where he had kissed me. Which later would fill my mind up with reminiscing and not something that can help me answer my unanswered questions.