Keeping Cody Out of Danger

Cody shielded himself from the falling debris

Cody shielded himself from the falling debris. He held his hoverboard over his head, the pieces of rubble falling from the roof bounced off the bottom of his board, but he knew it wouldn't shield him from larger debris.

His family were tackling an exploding firework factory, there was no one who noticed he was in trouble. The beams began to shake, his escape was blocked by the wreckage. There was no one coming. His closed his eyes, he didn't know how mad they'd be, but he couldn't stand by whilst someone was trapped.

He wished that he'd had called out to someone for help. What use was it anyway, no one would be able to hear him over the sound of the fireworks.

There was a bang. Something had fallen through the roof. Cody was pulled into a pair of arms. Arms that he'd recognize anywhere. "(y/n)!" he cried out. He tried to look up at her, but she curled her body and wings around him. He could hear her grunt in pain as she took the blows.

The shaking, rumbling and crashing stopped but the exploding fireworks still droned on. "Are you okay?" (y/n) asked. Cody could tell by the sound of your voice that you were hurt. He tried to see if you were okay, but you held him tightly.

Of course, you weren't okay. You could feel several sharp objects poke into your wings. You hoped that the blood wouldn't drip on Cody. Heck, you didn't want to stress him out at the sight of your injuries. "Can you call Dad? I don't think I can get us out of here," you winced. It felt as if you were carrying an elephant sized porcupine on your back.

"You'll have to let me go," Cody said and you gave him enough space to move and activate his com, not enough so he could see the blood trickling down your back. This pain was worth it, because if it wasn't you, it would have been Cody. You're physically enhanced so you can survive this, but Cody wouldn't.

"Dad, the store house collapsed, (y/n) and I are inside," he radioed.

"Are either of you hurt?" Your Dad asked. You could hear the fireworks stop, which means the other emergency had been delt with.

"I'm fine but (y/n) is hurt," he answered, you could hear the guilt in his voice so you ruffled his hair.

"I'm fine Dad it's just a scratch," you cut in. You hoped that by saying you were fine, you'd feel fine.

"Just stay where you are we'll look for a way to get you out," your Dad ordered.

"Why? Why did you come, you're hurt because of me,"
Cody said sadly.

You gave him a big and tight hug, "it's not your fault, I have a talent for sensing trouble and when I could tell that you were in trouble... nothing could stop me from getting to you," you assured stroking his hair.

The metal creaked, the load on your back shook as more rubble was dumped on you, you cried out in pain, "this year is the year for injuries," you grumbled.