Volume 1; Chap 3.3

You just watched the scene unfold with a straight face the whole time. With lifeless, porcelain eyes.

Junichiro was still choking Higuchi until all of a sudden, Junichiro was hit in the back by an ability. You looked to see and saw Akutagawa coughing into his hand.

"The stench of death does not discriminate between those who inflict it, and those who seek it." Akutagawa started walking closer to you and Atsushi. "Do you really not agree?"

You looked at Atsushi and saw a terrified look on his face.

"It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance. My name is Akutagawa. Like this woman here, I'm one of the Port Mafia's black dogs." He coughed into his hand again.

Akutagawa Ryuunosuke
Ability: Rashoumon

"Mr. Akutagawa, I can handle this by myself-!" As Higuchi finished her sentence, Akutagawa had slapped her right across the face.

"My orders were to take the weretiger alive. And yet here you are gunning everyone down! You useless mongrel..back off!" Akutagawa demanded.

"I'm sorry." Higuchi had such a look of sadness in her eyes. But there's nothing you could do about it. After all, she did try to kill the Tanzaki siblings, and might have possibly succeeded.

"Take the weretiger alive? I-I'm the one you're after?" Atsushi asked.

"But of course. The objective of this mission has always been you and you alone, weretiger." Akutagawa confirmed. "You're friends got caught in the crossfire. Just an unfortunate consequence."

"All of this is because of me?"

"Indeed. That is your karma weretiger. Your life is bound to cause only misfortune to those around you." Akutagawa was only putting him down.

"That's my…karma?"

"Special ability: Rashoumon"

A dangerous red hue surrounded Akutagawa before it passed right next to Atsushi, creating a dust cloud. You covered your eyes and waved your hand in front of your nose to get the debris away from your face.

When you looked to see what had happened, there was a burning path right next to Atsushi.

'He missed on purpose.'

And you were right. Akutagawa had confirmed it. There was a beast connected to Akutagawa's coat, emitted in a vibrant yet dangerous red hue.

"I intend to take you in alive, but if you decide to resist, then I will have no choice but to have it consume your leg next time."

Atsushi was frozen in place, questioning everything he had just been told. It wasn't until Junichiro weakly spoke up and told him to run. Atsushi was trembling.

Time was running out and you were getting impatient. So with a cold look on your face, you decided to make the first move.

You shot a ray of fire in Akutagawa's direction but his Rashoumon consumed it before it could hit him.

"Hm? It seems I have forgotten about someone.." Akutagawa looked in the direction the fire was shot from only to see you step forward, out of the shadows.

"Huh? A child?" You knew better than to fall for his charade. You knew he had recognized you the moment he saw you. You never got to formally introduce yourself to him in your mafia days. All you knew is that he trained under Dazai and that he knew of your existence as well.

"My name is [Y/n]. I am with the Armed Detective Agency. I may be a child but I can still take you on." You held both your hands up ready to attack and shoot fire and ice until you felt a hand on your shoulder that pushed you back and made you stumble but you were able to balance yourself before you fell.