Before the storm

Hello there, everyone!

Another chapter right on time! Let's see for how long I can keep this up!

Kinda slow chapter this time, it's mainly a set-up to future chapters, nothing stupendous. I hope it's enjoyable anyway.

Had a lot of fun writing this one, even though nothing major happens, I guess I just enjoy writing, which is good, I think?

Let me know your thoughts about this one! All criticism is good criticism!

As always, I hope you enjoy, and I'll see you in the next one!

Kisses!

>>> ⚔️ <<<

In a small village of humble origins, the cries of a baby echoed through the streets of dirt.

Within one of the small, poor houses, a mother held the newborn baby, already wrapped in a white blanket, still getting used to this brand new world.

"It's a beautiful little girl!" Said the doctor, a little more than an old woman who had already helped deliver a few babies in her time, since the village was far from the other, more populated towns. "Have you decided her name yet?"

"Yes, I have," gleefully answered the mother, "it's Saki!"

That was the name chosen for that little girl, still blissfully innocent from the world.

She didn't know any better.

"Get this cursed child away from me!"

Yelled the father, angrily throwing whatever was at his reach at the kid, now a little older, who hid herself behind an older woman.

"She took my wife's life! I won't have her in this house! She will only bring bad luck!" Angrily he pointed at the girl, growling. "Look at her eyes! Her cursed eyes!"

Saki's eyes filled with tears as she heard that, those little balls of light, shining green and blue, the origin of said "curse".

Those who were superstitious enough believed the girl was cursed, and that it was Saki who killed her mother when she was born.

Her father believed the eyes would bring bad luck, and so Saki was adopted by her grandmother, whose intentions were far from kind with the girl.

"You're useless!" The old woman slapped the older Saki on the face. "You can't do a job properly?! Everything you touch breaks! Everything you work on falls apart! You cursed child!"

The beatings followed Saki everywhere, along with the verbal and physical assault she endured not only from her own grandmother, but by anyone.

"Cursed child!"

"Useless!"

"You can't do anything right!"

For years... until one day.

Returning from working on the fields, Saki headed home late at night. The other residents already sleeping by now, she stayed up late for it was only then she had peace, away from those who only sought to beat her down.

As she walked through the streets, the moon her only companion, a drunk man stumbled upon the cursed child, his grog still at hand.

"You're-" He said between hiccups. "The cursed girl!"