The Journey Begins

"I'm sorry, Ulrich."

"No! Wait!" Ulrich attempted to stop his sister from activating the trap, knowing that would surely kill her, maybe both of them, but it would surely kill their enemy as well.

The explosion engulfed the whole mansion sending stakes of wood and shrapnel everywhere.

The blast launched Ulrich away from the center, but not from harm as he had multiple wounds in body, as well as some burns.

It was an incredible, arduous task for him to stand up once again, clutching his chest, trying to stop the bleeding from his wounds. His only good eye could barely see with the brightness of the fire burning away the mansion and anyone inside it.

"L-Leonie?!" He said in a weak voice, barely a whisper. "Leo-!" Coughing blood, he couldn't even finish.

Already feeling his consciousness fading away, he managed to glance one last time at the burning flames, and all he could discern was a figure, that same "Vampire" he faced, looking back at him, then vanishing into the darkness as he finally succumbed to his wounds.

>>> ⚔️ <<<

A few days had passed since that fateful night...

The memories still haunt Ulrich's dreams.

The image of his sister, her last words.

The image of his Master, who taught everything he knows, now gone forever.

And lastly the image of that Vampire, challenging all he knew about hunting and killing vampires.

Ulrich woke up in a cold sweat, breathing rapidly, ready to fight again. When someone stopped him right on his tracks.

"Woah, take it easy." Said the woman holding him. "You're safe now, Ulrich."

Ulrich glanced around, he was at what it looked like a hospital room, judging by the white walls, sheets, the equipment, and of course, the nurse who held him back. It was the Vampire Hunter's own medical unit.

"God, what happened." He felt the pain in his head.  "Where is everyone? The Vampires, they're-"

"Dead. You and the others took care of them."

"How did I get here?" He questioned.

"The fire caught the attention of a nearby town, and since the Legion knew you three were operating in the region they sent a patrol after your team."

"Leonie, Master Johann. Where-" Just then he remembered. "They're..."

"Now is not the time to think about that, you need time to recover." Said the nurse. To no avail. Ulrich was already on his feet.

"I need to talk to the Grandmaster."

"Ulrich! You need to stay here and recover! You can't just wander off with those wounds!"

Her words couldn't reach the man. He had something in mind, and nothing would could stop him.

As he left the building, he was met by other Vampire Hunters who had gathered around to see how their comrade was doing.

"Ulrich! Ulrich is here!" Yelled one of the hunters, drawing the others' attention.

It didn't take a second for the others to join the celebration as they chanted his name, throwing their hands in the air, even lifting the confused Ulrich who didn't understand what was that about.

"Ulrich! Ulrich! Ulrich! Ulrich!" They chanted in harmony.

"G-Guys? What's happening?!"

"You slayed your 97th Vampire! It's a new record!" Clarified one of the hunters.