|Chapter 15| Distracted

*Hermione*

I panicked, holding the little girl in my arms. Her caramel skin and curly brown hair were damp with sweat as she lay in my arms.

"Headmistress!" I cried out, she needs help!

"Anita?!" A familiar voice cried out, I looked up to find Lyra running towards us. Her wand immediately was out, running over the little girl.

"You know her?" I raised my eyebrows, "what are you doing here?" I was in shock.

"This is my sister, sweet Hermione. Anita. I took the medical position here to keep an eye on you, your blonde friend, and my sister." Suddenly she was casting spell after spell. Her sister woke up, coughing lightly. Once her eyes landed on mine she gained a confused expression.

"What happened?" Then she saw her sister and a half smile spread across her face, "Lyra, I thought you wouldn't be here until the morning?"

"Be glad she came early, little one. You must speak with Professor Trelawny in the morning. You have the gift." I spoke cautiously, "The last time a prophecy that great was spoken, Harry Potter himself was at the center of it." I looked at my friend, who had pity in his eyes. I watched him stare at my belly, a knowing look in his eyes.

"I did? What did I say?" She played with her hair, nerves on her face.

"Not now, sweet girl. Go rest and eat. The feast will hopefully find you se comfort." I spoke, letting her sister guide her to an empty space at our table. I nodded at Minerva who began announcements. She had Draco and I join her at the podium as she introduced us as Head Boy and Head Girl. She concluded with a shocking statement.

"Finally, please note that this year is in honor of all that we lost during the war. All of the sacrifices made by so many are why you see so many faces here as 8th years. They spent their 7th year fighting a battle that was not their own. Many of you are far beyond your required skill level. These two included. That is why you will treat them as any staff member. At the conclusion of their required classroom hours, they will be offered positions on the staff. These two have shown greatness through hardship time and time again. Please, give a round of applause to the new heads of Gryffindor and Slytherin houses." As the Great Hall broke out into cheers, I felt a deep blush. I hadn't had any idea she would appoint me not just head girl, but head of Gryffindor. Stepping into her shoes would be such a great honor.

"Thank you, Headmistress. It's an honor to attempt to fill your shoes!" I hugged her, she wrapped her arms around me and let me embrace her. I shook Draco's hand, "I look forward to my house kicking your house's butt in points and on the Quidditch Pitch!" Laughter erupted from the Gryffindor tables, with a roar of arguments from Slytherin.

"We'll see about that, Ms. Granger!" He retorted, a mischievous look on his face.

We were all dismissed to eat. Draco and I stayed to speak with Minerva about the new appointments.

"What are we to teach?" I asked, knowing most positions were filled.

"Well, you will assume my position in Transfiguration. Mr. Malfoy, I was hoping you'd do the honor of assuming the position for Defense Against the Dark Arts?" She smiled at him.

"Me? Why? Most students know I was a death eater for years... they wouldn't believe me." His insecurities clearly bubbled.

"You chose the side of good in the end, you have much experience with how the dark minds work. It will prove to be wonderful insight when teaching our students how to combat such things." She patted his shoulder. Her motherly ways weren't always clear to new students, but she cared so deeply it was comforting to be near her.