r e a l l i f e + i m e s s a g e

WRONG NUMBER

WRONG NUMBER.

THE SOUND OF a ringing phone echoed through the room, bringing linnea from her peaceful slumber. a loud groan erupted from her throat as she rubbed her eyes, sitting up. who on earth was calling her at such un-earthly time?

rolling over, she picked up her phone and frowned at the display, currently reading an unknown number. she clicked the accept button, bringing her phone to her ear.

"hello?" her voice came out hoarse and dry due to being so unused.

"hello! is this linnea skarsgård?" a cheerful voice came from the other end of the line.

"yeah this is her." linnea replied, still confused as to who's managed to get her number without her knowing.

"great! im just calling to let you know you got the part in 'crimson town'! well done!"

linnea let out a loud gasp. crimson town was a film she'd auditioned for a couple weeks prior, and honestly she didnt think she would get the part. she was fully convinced she'd fucked her audition up so badly.

the film was a horror that was going to be directed by christopher nolan - the director of batman. it was about a small town in west virginia. the town hosted its annual fair, but this year multiple kids reported seeing a dark silhouette in the forest. no one believed them as no adults had seen it, but on the third day a group of kids decide to go explore in secret. theyre reported missing a few hours later. novalie - linneas character - is on a run on a beach about 20 minutes south the next day when she stumbles apon 5 washed up decaying bodies. the bodies of the children.

the town is distraught, but they still keep the fair up to 'brighten moods'. novalie and her husband are equally distressed, their minds filled with worry of their 4 year old daughter, willow. a few days before its closing down, a toddler is playing hook the duck and when she hands her collected duck to the man running the stand, he finds a piece of paper sticking out a hole in the bottom. the note reads "shame the fairs closing down... i liked the adrenaline."

no one has any idea what the note could be about, apart from novalie. her husband, daniel, is the police sheriff and shes tried explaining her theories to him but he wont listen. so, she investigates on her own, as shes scouring the forest next to the fair, she comes across a note stuck to the bark of a tree. this note reads "5 down... 5 to go. watch your back, who knows who im going for next?"

the rest of the film revolves around the murders of 4 more people, three adults and 2 children. novalie finds a piece of scrap paper reading a date and the words 'its a shame this'll be my last one... i guess ill have to come back next year.' novalie and daniel go to the forest on the date it reads, but the man is no where to be found. after a few hours of searching, they give up and head home. however, apon checking in on their daughter, they find the silhouette standing above her bed, knife in hand.