Chapter 2

Janis' POV

    "What did I tell you about playing with teleportation?" Tony questioned, looking at the device I've been working on. Pepper found it in the pocket of a pair of my sweatpants and took it to him to examine.

"That you may not make it to point B in one piece... but dad, I'm so close! You need to trust me on this." I pleaded. My father shook his head,

"Nope, absolutely not." He retorted. Uncle Bruce spoke up,

"If I could just say something really quick... Janis showed me this the other day and it's an extraordinary invention. All she has to do is work out the kink in the coordinates and she will have the first functioning teleportation device." Tony looked at him with wide eyes and an expression that was almost reminiscent of betrayal,

"You knew about this?"

"Please, dad. This could be a major breakthrough for the Stark name. Haven't you ever wanted to be known for something more than weapons and suits?" I beg.

"No, I haven't." Tony replied. My eyes fell to the floor. I knew he would over-react but I also figured he would be excited for me. Just when I thought all hope was lost, he continued. "...That's your dream. I can tell you really want this." My eyes bolted back up brightly. "I'll tell you what: don't test it on yourself and I'm fine with you finishing it. It's still in the beta stage so don't screw around with it." With those words, I was giddy like a little kid. I took my device from him and gave him a big hug.

"Thank you! And I won't! Promise!"

    I sat in my room admiring the photo of myself and Wanda when a few knocks interrupted me.

"Who is it?" I call out. The knocks sounded heavy but cautious.

"It's Steve. I uh... just wanted to see where you put the tags... gotta make sure they're in a nice spot." He said, hesitantly. Steve has never been anywhere near my room. As a joke, I used to have a "No Steve's within 20 feet" sign on my door. I scrambled to get up and sat the photo back in its spot.

"Hold on," I replied. I got to the door and opened it where were we could see each other but he couldn't get through. "Password?" I asked, trying to sound serious.

"Alright, I'll play along. Do I get any hints?" He asked.

"You get one hint. Use it wisely." I tell. Steve crossed his arms,

"Give me the hint."

"My favorite thing to ever exist. you get three tries." I advise. Rogers thinks for a moment, then raises his eyebrows.

"Wanda?"

"She's a close second, but nope."

"Your dad?"

"Nope. Think things, Rogers."

"...A Boeing plane?" He gave his final guess. He was still wrong.

"Sorry, try again later." I laugh, closing the door in a joking fashion, which I then realized was stopped by his foot that was conveniently placed in the space I left for us to speak. I sighed and opened it all the way. "My favorite thing is Brandy, my new car." I stated, moving out of the way for Steve to come in.

"How is that fair? I didn't even know you had a car." He wondered, walking in behind me. I chuckle,

"Pay closer attention, Rogers." Upon sight of my room, he was almost speechless.

"I knew you were a World War II junky but this is a different level," He started as he took heavy glances around my room. I forget that to him, my hobby and fascination was more. This was something he lived through.