Chapter 12

Woah! An update? 7 years later?? Nobody asked for it, but I got curious and started looking at these old stories and figured why the hell not? Maybe I'll be able to bring something more mature to these books now that I'm older and all that junk. Hopefully, I'm still alright at this. Enjoy :)

Janis' POV

    It was about 8:30 when the team came back home. Some showered, others went right to crash, I came home shortly after Wanda got out of Brandy to join them. I was in my room listening to Arctic Monkeys when they arrived, and I could tell who went straight to their rooms by the closeness of the doors. I went back to my sketchbook and sang to myself when I heard a knock on my own door.

"Name?" I requested.

"Bucky." He spoke through the door. I gave him the word to proceed, and he walked in looking a little beat up from the mission, but nothing too serious. "Got a minute?" He asked, lowering his voice before the door closed all the way.

"I have time, what's up?" I inquired. The song "505" by the band that's been repeated for the last couple of hours clicked on.

"So, I'll just get right to it. I don't like seeing Steve the way he is right now." Bucky admitted, not harshly but still stern in a friendly way. I closed my book and sat up more,

"Well, I don't either but it's his choice if he wants to be patient with me or not. He has his own role to play here." I stated, not sure how to respond without sounding insensitive. Bucky sat down on the edge of my bed and sighed,

When you look at me like that, my darlin', what did you expect?
I'd probably still adore you with your hands around my neck
Or I did last time I checked

"Peggie passed away, you know.. a while back. He thinks about her, sure, but that's how it goes." His face became remorseful. I didn't know that, all I knew was what Wanda told me. From that, I can gather that she didn't know either.

"This is news to me. Steve never really spoke about her." I recanted.

"I get that. How'd it go with Wanda? I thought she was out with you but I noticed she was with us instead." He wondered, changing the subject entirely. I shrugged and told him what happened in the car at the diner. "So you two aren't an item?"

"I don't think so. She clearly has feelings for Vision also, so I don't want to bark up the wrong tree. When Vis was JARVIS, he took care of me a great deal growing up." I informed. My eyes felt heavy, almost tearful as I explained. "I wish my mom was here. She would know what to tell me." Bucky pulled me in with his heavy left arm in an effort to comfort me.

"I may not be your momma, but I can try to help. Does the hair work?" He joked, flipping his long hair around. I snorted,

"She didn't have hair last time I saw her. But thank you for the laugh, I appreciate it." His hand squeezed the shoulder it was resting on before he stood up to leave.

But I crumble completely when you cry
It seems like once again you've had to greet me with goodbye

"Don't mention this chat to Steve, okay?" He asked of me on his way out.

"This stays between us."

    That night I sat in bed, doing the same thing I was doing when Bucky came in to talk. I was sketching out a new suit for myself and I plan on showing dad tomorrow. I look at the time on my phone and it shows 1:46. Damn, I should probably get some sleep. I turn my music down to a gentle volume, loud enough to hear it but soft enough to fall asleep to.
"FRIDAY, turn my light off, please?" I call out to the skies.
"Yes, ma'am" the disembodied voice responded, followed by my room going dark. The song playing as I doze off is "Why'd You Only Call Me When You're High?" By my band of the evening.