Chapter 4: An Unlikely Connection

A voice called out from beyond the door, "It is I who enters this dwelling of a princess, with my most sincere salutations."

Before Ayodele could respond, an elegantly dressed woman gowned in a rose hanbok stood before her.

" Did you just..."

The woman smiled, her skin was subtly pale and her hands hinted at her age. Her deep and expressive eyes were framed by gracefully arched eyebrows that spoke of both intelligence and warmth - as if filled with secrets untold. A harmony of curves and soft contours formed her harmonious features, while rosy cheeks and lips accented her serene countenance. As she smiled, a dimple appeared on her left cheek, adding a touch of charm to her face. When she spoke, it was in a melodic voice.

Ayodele felt overwhelmed as the woman gestured for the door to be closed behind her.

"Uh...I," Ayodele stammered helplessly.

"I am Court Lady Choi," the woman said calmly.

With her gaze intent on the younger one, Court Lady Choi said: "I am here to teach you everything you need to know about your impending nuptials with His Highness Crown Prince and to learn all that you think you already have knowledge of."

Ayodele stirred in her sleep, one eye barely opening to the morning light streaming through the window. With a groan she pushed herself up from her bed, scratching at her wild afro.

"You can't be serious, I...I am barely awake," Ayodele mumbled, stifling a yawn.

Court Lady Choi appeared in the doorway with a subtle smile and stepped closer to take a look at her hair. "May I?" She asked, gesturing towards Ayodele's head with an open palm. Caught off guard, Ayodele just gave a weary nod of assent.

The woman began touching the tight coil springs of Ayodele's hair, stretching one spring to see how long it was - down to her lower back.

"What beautiful hair," she said in admiration, spinning around Ayodele's head and tracing the round shape of her afro with smooth fingertips. Raising an amused eyebrow, Ayodele smiled in thanks for the compliment, but confusion was still vivid on her face.

Clearing her throat, Court Lady Choi extended out her hand towards Ayodele, waiting to help pull her up from the bed. With no other choice but to comply, Ayodele grabbed onto her hand and followed dutifully as she led them out of the room and into a bathing chamber filled with fragrant flowers.

"Today I'll be teaching your waiting servants how they are to prepare you for the wedding," Lady Choi announced without warning.

Ayodele's jaw dropped open in surprised shock - "Wedding? But...I haven't even met the Crown Prince yet!" - though no sound came from her lips.

The court lady merely gestured towards the pool of water - clearly, this conversation was over.

Lady Song and Afi rushed over, their hearts pounding with concern.

"What are you doing here with the Crown Princess? Unhand her!" Lady Song roared, not knowing who she was addressing yet. She quickly bowed in apology as soon as she recognized Court Lady Choi.

Afi nervously gripped her skirt, eyes shifting back and forth between the court lady and the Crown Princess.

"Ah, Court Lady Choi." Lady Song let out.

Court Lady Choi nodded towards Ayodele's questioning gaze.

Ayodele observed the exchange between the two women cautiously, before fixing her gaze upon Court Lady Choi. "You are well respected, I gather?"