Chapter 27: "Silk Threads and Secrets"

A day or two had passed, and as the moon ascended in the night sky, Seo-Jin treaded slowly, his steps guiding him toward the chambers of the King. Within his mind, a blend of anxiety and anticipation flowed, kindled by the gravity of Ji-Yun's revelations. Positioned outside the door, a guard obstructed his path, his countenance marked by sternness.

"Declare your purpose," the guard demanded, his voice emanating resolute and distinct.

Seo-Jin's gaze locked with the guard's, his eyes flickering with a touch of defiance. "I have been summoned to deliver tea for the impending meeting," he responded smoothly, his words laced with a hint of confidence.

The guard regarded him skeptically, a fleeting moment of hesitation crossing his countenance. Seizing the opportunity, Seo-Jin deftly acquired a tea container from a passing servant and presented it to the guard.

"My apologies for the confusion," Seo-Jin uttered, his voice exuding charm as he extended the cup. "I only ask you, allow me to fulfill my duty."

The guard's stern expression softened, his gaze shifting toward the servant who nodded in affirmation. Yielding, the guard stepped aside, bestowing Seo-Jin with passage. With a swift nod of gratitude, Seo-Jin advanced toward the door.

Seo-Jin stood outside the slightly ajar door, his gaze falling upon a scene that startled him. The Crown Prince and So-Ra were seated before the King, engrossed in a discussion of evident gravity. The intimate setting of the King's quarters made Seo-Jin feel a subtle  embarrassment as if he had inadvertently stumbled upon an affair.

His eyes darted back and forth between the figures before him, his mind racing to make sense of the unfolding situation. Waves of conflicting emotions surged within Seo-Jin, rendering him motionless in the doorway. Suddenly, he spotted one of the servants who had been present earlier and, with a sense of urgency, handed them the tea he had intended for the Crown Prince and So-ra.

Little did Seo-Jin realize, the stage had been meticulously arranged and he had already done his part.

As the gentle sunlight slowly filtered through the curtains, its soft glow caressed the crown princess's face, illuminating her features. Lady Song and Afi meticulously arranged her coils, the strands flowing through their fingers with practiced precision. With a languid yawn and a deliberate stretch, she gracefully emerged from the bed, her servants skillfully getting her cleaned and dressed her for the day.

Unbeknownst to her, the previous night had been a blur for the crown prince and So-Ra, who now found themselves awakening in a state of disarray, their bodies naked in bed. Confusion gradually seeped into their consciousness, clouding their expressions as they tried to piece together the fragments of their memories.

Massaging his temples, the Crown Prince struggled to unravel the haze of the previous night, a veil that shrouded his recollection. His gaze locked onto So-Ra, who mirrored his bewilderment, her eyes reflecting a mix of embarrassment and curiosity.

"I... I'm not sure what occurred last night," So-Ra hesitantly ventured, her voice laced with tentative uncertainty.

Furrowing his brow, the Crown Prince grappled with his fading remembrances, desperate to make sense of the situation. "I also... I cannot remember," he admitted, his words tinged with a blend of perplexity and genuine concern.

Awareness of their exposed state slowly dawned upon them, causing a faint blush to grace So-Ra's cheeks. "Perhaps we should get out clothes first," she suggested, her voice betraying a trace of awkwardness, as they prepared to face the reality of their enigmatic night. A throbbing headache plagued the crown prince, his temples pulsating with each beat. His surroundings remained a blur, the aftermath of their encounter casting a haze over his senses.