Chapter 41: " Fleeting Petals of a Cherry Bloom."

Ayodele had been summoned to the grand throne room for the first time since the night of tragedy, and she was not sure what to expect from the king. His earlier words echoed in her mind as she stood before him, her back straight and her gaze locked ahead.

The air in the throne room was thick with tension –a discernible reminder of the power plays and conspiracies that had been brewing in the absence of the crown prince. Ayodele could almost feel the bile emanating from those present, eager to capitalize on an opportunity that would surely never come again.

Before her stood the King. Despite his severe countenance, there was something strangely written in his eyes when he spoke to her in a low voice:

"You must remarry, Ayodele," he said, his words as cold as the floor beneath her bare feet. He knew that for Ayodele, this would be no easy task - finding someone who could fill the void left the crown prince's absence - yet he pressed on relentlessly. There was no sympathy in his voice, no understanding, just the harsh decree of a king who saw her only as a pawn in his game of power.

She blinked at the king's words, her heart pounding in her chest like a wild drum. Remarry? The thought hadn't even crossed her mind. She was still grieving. Yet, here she was, expected to wed another man, all in the name of maintaining stability and order within the kingdom. " The mourning period-" Ayodele sighed. She didn't have it in her to fight, not today, she left her sentence unsaid.

The contenders for her hand were the sons of the ministers who flanked the king. Men who eyed her not as a woman, but as an opportunity, a stepping stone to greater power. They had nothing of the kindness and love that the crown prince had shown her. Their eyes were cold, calculative, and devoid of any warmth.

She masked her shock well, schooling her features into an unreadable mask. Inside, she was seething with anger and resentment. She was not some prize to be won, not some asset to be bartered off yet that was the purpose of her position.

Yet, she said nothing. She held her silence, the weight of her secret growing heavier within her with every passing moment. Her hand instinctively went to her stomach, the tiny life within her the only secret she had managed to keep from the prying eyes of the court.

Ayodele understood her precarious position. The king needed a stable successor, especially now when the kingdom was rife with uncertainty. A power struggle was imminent, and Ayodele's hand in marriage would significantly tip the scales in favor of the suitor she would choose.

"Very well, Your Majesty," she said, her voice steady despite the whirlwind of emotions churning within her. "I shall do as you command."

The king nodded in approval, a glint of satisfaction in his eyes. Yet, Ayodele's mind was racing, methods of planning painting her thoughts. She would do as the king demanded, yes. But not without ensuring the welfare of her unborn child.

With that resolve cemented in her heart, Ayodele retreated from the throne room, her heart pounding in sync with the steady rhythm of her unborn child's heartbeat.

As the weeks rolled on, Ayodele found herself grappling with a choice she could live without. Who would she support of the ministers' sons? Seo-Jin, despite his sins, was a strong contender for the throne. But his existence suffocated her, Or would she side with another, someone who hadn't wronged her as Seo-Jin had?

Ayodele sighed as the rain of snow gently pattered against the window panes of her quarters, she found herself yearning for the familiar warmth of the prince's embrace. But all that remained was a chilling void of his absence, the snow falling was taunting her loneliness it seemed.

Still, there was no use, as Minister Kim told her, her tear was for no one other than those she trusted. After a day of walking with her head held, she returned to her room.