Chapter 33: "Ink-Stained Secrets"

Snowflakes began to tumble gently from the sky, tracing their delicate patterns against the surround of the chilling night. As she watched the snowfall, the Queen found herself drifting back to a time that felt like lifetimes ago, a past life that was as haunting as it was formative.

Looking into her bowl of water, her mind painted a vivid picture of her younger self, the unforgiving morning light glinting off her eyes and reflecting them at her. They were two pools of molten silver that would steel over under the weight of heavy burdens, measuring out all emotions in careful measurements. A resilient child on her feet as she trudged through a thick carpet of snow. Every footfall revealed the painful testament of her journey: her family home was now only an angry smear across the landscape. Her feet are small, delicate, and pale in the moonlight. Bruises streaked across her toes and up the backs of her ankles, hinting at the violence inflicted upon them. Even in the soft light of the night, it is a sight that fills her with grief. The soles of her feet were a vivid, deep scarlet, the shocking color not dulled by the snow's white blanket. An array of bloody patches scattered across the tender flesh, some still seeping cerise droplets from shallow cuts and deeper gouges caused by the raiders' weapons.

The image of Queen Dowager's father loomed large in these memories, his alliance with the previous king casting long and menacing shadows. He was a figure as relentless as the biting winter wind, his motives as cold and unforgiving as the snow blanketing the ground.

In her youth, the queen was lucky enough to have a beauty worth getting into the royal family with. She knew the influence and language skills she possessed to communicate with neighboring countries were the only reason they kept her at some point. A skill she had family hidden around teaching her.

In the moment as her gaze remained transfixed on the snowfall, each flake appeared to carry a piece of her fragmented past. The serene silence of the night stood in stark contrast to the tumultuous windstorm brewing within fueled by the haunting memories of her harrowing past. It was an incursion that carried the sting of betrayal, the pain of loss, and the bitterness of a childhood ripped away too soon.

The Queen looked up from her reverie, her eyes settling briefly on Lady Choi and Sa-wol, who had stepped closer as if sensing her distress. She smiled sadly at their attempts to break the silence that had descended upon them.

Sa-Wol then pulled out a trinket from her pocket and handed it to the two women. "I made this for each of you," she said softly. The Queen was moved by Sa-wol's gesture and accepted the bracelet with a gentle smile. Lady Choi did too, both of them were touched by her kindness and thoughtfulness. The bracelet was small and delicate, crafted with detail from an array of precious metals and stones. It has a sheen to it as if taking in the moonlight and reflecting it into the night sky.

" Did your daughter help? I remember you said she collected stones." Sa-Wol smiled in confirmation, her face lighting up as she talked about her daughter.

"She is a beauty, my queen," Sa-wol said proudly. "I know not how to express the joy she brings me when I am away from home." She pulled out an extra bracelet that glowed in the moonlight and handed it to the Queen. "This one is for my daughter. I made it specifically for her and I hope she will be happy to find out that we share a gift."

The Queen smiled gratefully at Sa-wol's sweet gesture. "I am lucky to be able to share such a gift with her," she said warmly. "Tell me more about your daughter if you would like?"

Sa-wol was only too happy to oblige, her face aglow with pride as she spoke of her beloved child. "Her name is Ji-yun," said Sa-wol fondly. "She has the most curious mind and loves adventure stories, much like yourself my queen." Her voice wavered slightly as she spoke of how much Ji-yun looked up to the queen as a role model for courage and strength in the face of adversity.