Chapter 49: " moonlight's kiss."

Earlier that day, within the quiet confines of Ayodele's chamber, a palace physician had arrived for the regular check-up, his demeanor professional, his eyes filled with the wisdom of years of practice.

Ayodele sat gracefully on a cushioned seat, her hanbok flowing around her like a gentle sea of silk. Her gaze was fixed on the physician, her posture straight and elegant, her dark eyes mirroring the worries of her heart. Lady Song,and  Lady Choi, were also present, their glances darting between Ayodele and the physician.

"Your Highness," the physician greeted with a deep bow, his voice a comforting baritone.

With a nod, Ayodele indicated for him to proceed. The check-up went smoothly, with the physician ensuring she was in good health. When it was time to discuss the matter of the impending childbirth, his tone turned serious.

"Your Highness," he began, "given your condition, I believe the time to prepare for the arrival of your child. It may happen soon. As there were complications at one point it wouldn't be unexpected."

A flurry of emotions swept across Ayodele's face. Joy and anticipation were tinged with an undeniable sadness. A wave of melancholy washed over her at the thought of going through this monumental life event without the crown prince by her side.

Her voice was soft, but her resolve was as strong as ever, "Thank you, physician. We shall prepare as you advise."

With that, the physician excused himself, leaving Ayodele alone with her thoughts. The room felt even quieter than before, the silence amplifying her loneliness. She sighed, her fingers absently tracing the swell of her belly.

The room fell into a still silence as the physician made his exit. Lady Song's face was shadowed with worry, looking at the crown princess as she stepped forward, her hand reaching out to provide a comforting touch on Ayodele's shoulder. Her voice was a gentle whisper against the silence, "Your Highness, please remember, you are not alone. We are here with you."

Despite Lady Song's comforting words, a wave of emotion surged within Ayodele, her eyes shimmering with tears held at bay. Her voice emerged softer than before, imbued with a sorrowful acceptance, "I appreciate your support, Lady Song. But his absence... it changes everything."

Sensing the depth of Ayodele's sorrow, Lady Choi stepped forward, her solemn nod a silent acknowledgment of Ayodele's heartache. "We understand, Your Highness," she replied, her voice imbued with a promise. "We may not replace him, but we will give our utmost to support you and the heir."

Ayodele responded with a nod of gratitude, her heart touched by their sincere dedication. As they left, she was once again alone in her chamber, her thoughts her only companions. She sighed softly, her fingers absently caressing her belly, a sad smile curving her lips as she contemplated the bittersweet future that awaited her.

Later in the evening, she found herself in front of the crown prince's chamber. With every step she took, the weight of her solitude seemed to grow heavier.

Ayodele was in retreat, While in her world, she stood alone in the crown prince's chamber, her gaze wandering around the room. It was a place frozen in time, filled with memories and stories of the past.

The flickering candlelight cast dancing shadows on the furnishings, adding an air of mystery to the surroundings. The snow outside was singing a sorrowful tune.

Lost in her thoughts, Ayodele was startled when Lady Song approached, her voice soft and hesitant. "Your Highness, Seo-jin is looking for you. He waits outside, hoping to see you."

Ayodele sighed, her heart already set on a different path. "Lady Song, kindly inform him that his presence is not required. I have made my decision to wed him not to engage in conversation with him."