Chapter 25: "Sighs in the Moonlight"

Over the course of the past few weeks, a calm stillness had settled over the royal household. However, in recent days, this equanimity belied the turmoil brewing within the confines of Consort Ji-Yun's chambers.

It was an afternoon that painted a peaceful picture. The soft golden sunlight fell through the slats of the wooden shutters, despite its chill winds, illuminating the immaculate room adorned with art and exotic flora. But amidst the tranquillity, Ji-Yun's world started to tilt.

Her heart pounded erratically in her chest as she sat at her polished mahogany table, its edges carved with scenes from ancient folklore. An unsettling feeling of sickness began to creep over her like an encroaching shadow, the sensation gnawing at her insides and tugging her down a chasm of discomfort.

Her pale complexion grew even more ghostly, her almond eyes widening with each ragged breath she drew. Her fingers, clenched the edge of the low table tightly, knuckles turning white with exertion. She felt an overwhelming wave of nausea build up, threatening to break free.

Gritting her teeth, Ji-Yun tried to compose herself, but the room swirled around her, reality becoming a surreal blur. Mustering all the strength she could find, she raised her gaze to her handmaid, who was standing frozen in alarm.

"C-Call..." she stammered, swallowing hard against the lump forming in her throat. Her voice was barely audible, a mere whisper carried away by the draft in the room. "Call...the physician."

Her plea, desperate and insistent, echoed in the silent room, cutting through the still air and prompting her handmaid into a hurried flurry of action.

The maid, sensing the urgency of the situation, immediately scurried off. The hushed atmosphere in the room was filled with the gentle sound of a smooth hanbok shifting. As the maid hurried away, Consort Ji-Yun gave in to the uncontrollable urge and retched, the porcelain basin catching the unpleasant evidence of her condition.

In the ensuing chaos, the royal physician was quickly summoned. A man of age, with a curt nod, he entered the room, his wise eyes immediately assessing the situation.

After a few careful examinations, which Ji-Yun endured with a pained grimace, the physician took a step back. His old eyes studied her for a moment before he finally uttered the diagnosis that would cause ripples throughout the palace.

"Congratulations, Lady Ji-Yun. You are with child."

The words reverberated, an unseen weight pressing against the silence. Ji-Yun's heart pounded in her chest as the reality of her condition started to sink in. She was going to have a child, a royal heir.

The morning sun was barely beginning to peek through the eastern wing of the palace as Consort Ji-Yun paced back and forth in the royal antechamber. The soft rustling of her robes could be heard, as usual whispering secrets to the marble floor as she tried to gather her thoughts.

Her heart pounded like a war drum against her chest. The heavy news she bore had the power to shift the currents of the palace, and she knew she must approach the king with caution and grace. This was a delicate dance, and she had rehearsed her steps meticulously.

Finally, the heavy wooden doors to the king's quarters opened. The king's personal eunuch beckoned for her, and Consort Ji-Yun entered the king's presence.

The King  was reclining on his royal chaise, engrossed in a scroll of calligraphy. At her entrance, he glanced up, his sharp eyes studying her through the soft morning light. A familiar, silent exchange passed between them before she took a respectful bow.

"Your Majesty," she began, her voice steady but filled with a hint of anticipation. "I hope the morning finds you well."

King gestured for her to rise, leaning back against his chaise with a curious gaze. "What brings you to me so early, Consort Ji-Yun?" His voice was calm, but there was a glimmer of intrigue in his eyes.