Chapter 16: "Fragile Hearts and Unyielding Resolve"

The morning sunlight streamed through the high windows of the royal court, illuminating the elaborate gold inlays on the walls and the intricate molds of dragons on the throne. The court was filled with the murmurs of courtiers, their excited whispers echoing off the high ceilings.

Suddenly, all eyes turned towards the door. There, standing atop the threshold, was the tall figure of a palace guard. He stepped forward, his dark blue uniform gleaming in the morning light. In his hands, he carried a tan envelope faintly scented with floral notes.

The guard bowed before the throne and approached, presenting the envelope to the King. Inside, hidden within its folds, was a single yellowed piece of paper, a page seemingly torn from a book yet still indicating a hint of a jagged edge.

The King accepted the mysterious page and gestured for the guard to speak. The guard straightened up, cleared his throat, and said, " Jeoha, your crown princess wishes to speak with you." The guard bowed once more and stepped back, awaiting the King's reply.

The King thought for a moment before nodding in agreement. Asking the other advisors to step out for a moment while Ayodele arrived. Within the imposing walls of the royal chambers, Crown Princess Ayodele strode in, an aura of complexity around her. Her gaze, bold and determined, clashed with the King's even before she spoke.

Ayodele was respectful yet unwavering, demonstrating that she would not be easily subdued. "Your Majesty," Ayodele's words cut through the silence, unbendable yet smooth as a sharpened blade.

" What do I owe this honor." the king asked as if he was in a rush.

"I've been informed of your inquiries, made through the Crown Prince, about me. If there is something you wish to know, I would urge you to ask me directly."

Taken aback by her audacity, the King reacted instinctively, his stern gaze attempting to reassert his dominance. "Remember your place, Crown Princess," he warned, his voice echoing ominously around the chamber. "Being of royal lineage and carrying the title of Crown Princess does not entitle you to overstep your boundaries."

Ayodele, however, stood her ground, undeterred by the King's intimidating demeanor. There was a dangerous glint in her eye as she responded, a silent promise of unyielding resolve. "Your Majesty," she retorted evenly, "I am well aware of my place and hold the utmost respect for the hierarchy. However, I will not stand by and endure subterfuge, especially not when it concerns me or those I care for."

Her response lingered in the air, reverberating through the vast chambers. The King, unaccustomed to such defiance, he had been once, but this one was harder to put in her place. Her family surely would respond in anger, leading to unneeded bloodshed.

Calming himself, as his hand twitched, the king felt an unfamiliar flicker of unease creep up his spine. Ayodele's tenacity and her imposing aura were filled with discomfort, compelling him to tread lightly. In the aftermath of the brutal treatment inflicted upon the Crown Prince, Ayodele had made her stance clear.

" And may I ask what harm I have inflicted onto you? Crown princess."

Ayodele's steely gaze held the King's as she carefully unfolded the scroll, its edges worn and softened by time, revealing a meticulously written decree. It was the symbol of the long-standing treaty between her home kingdom and the Joseon dynasty - a relic, but a powerful one.

Her voice filled the silent room, clear and directly , "This document, as you too have, is more than a symbol of protection for my family line. It's a bond between two kingdoms, a promise of peace and mutual respect. My presence here is the living testament of that pledge, and as long as I am treated with the dignity that is due to my position, our kingdoms will stay allies."