Chapter 43: "Silhouette of the Dancing Shadows."

Later in the afternoon, Ayodele made her way towards the dungeon as she neared the cell where Kang-ho was held, she noticed a familiar figure scurrying away — one of Ji-yun's servants. Her lips thinned in a hardened line, as she raised a brow to meet the eyes of the avoidant servant.

Ayodele gestured for his release, as the guard opened the cell door and she stepped inside, her eyes adjusting to the darkness. Kang-ho was seated at the corner, his eyes dull, and chains clinking as he stood to greet her.

"Sejabinmama," he began, but Ayodele cut him off with a wave of her hand.

"I saw one of Ji-yun's servant leaving. Has she been visiting you?" she asked, her tone cool and measured.

Kang-ho hesitated before shaking his head. "I have not seen her since our...incident."

Ayodele scoffed at his evasion. Something had shifted since their last meeting, and she wasn't sure she liked it. "I'm just hear to reconfirm what you told me about Ji-yun?" she pressed, "About her being involved in the attack on the Crown Prince?"

Kang-ho looked at her, the firelight reflecting in his eyes. "I... I might have been mistaken," he muttered, avoiding her gaze.

Ayodele scoffed once more leaning against the cold stone wall of the dungeon. "Don't lie to me, Kang-ho. I don't appreciate being toyed with. I see you've changed your tune. Since we last spoke. Perhaps Ji-yun has promised you an escape? A pardon, perhaps?"

He remained silent, and that was answer enough for Ayodele.

"Be careful, Kang-ho," she said, her voice dropping low. "You're as disposable as they come in Ji-yun's game. Don't come crawling back to me when you find yourself betrayed and alone. You've made your choice."

With that, she turned on her heel and left, leaving a stunned Kang-ho behind. Going back into her room she sat, her attention entirely devoted to the parchment before her.

A fluid script flowed from her hand as she wrote, careful to make every word clear. Lost in her thoughts, she gazed up for a moment when she heard a knock, to see Seo-jin standing at the entrance of her room.

The sight of him brought resentment, but she kept her face impassive. Seo-jin, on the other hand, kept his head bowed as he entered, respectful but with an undertone of anxiety.

"Ayodele," he greeted, his voice steady, for the seventh time this week." I have spoken to my father, I really want to reiterate my apology, I want to be of use to you as I was."

Ayodele merely raised an eyebrow, not halting her writing.

"Is that so? And do you think an apology will be enough?" Her voice was cool, detached.

He shifted uncomfortably, "I will do anything to make up for my mistake."

"Can you bring back my husband?" Her words were sharp, cutting through the room. Ayodele continued her writing, not bothering to look at Seo-jin.

Stunned, Seo-jin struggled to reply but was interrupted as Ayodele called for a servant. "Bring a plate of fruit later instead of tea tonight, dear" she stated, her focus still on her letter. The young woman nodded and was on her way.

As the servant scurried away, a new figure appeared in the doorway. He was a tall, refined gentleman. He greeted Ayodele with a deep bow, a charming smile playing on his lips.

Ayodele turned to Seo-jin with a dismissive gesture. "Seo-jin, I have many suitors to meet. Perhaps you should run along now." She turned her attention to the new guest, Seo-jin's presence already forgotten.

"Please, have a seat," Ayodele gestured toward the empty chair across from her as Seo-jin silently departed. Her tone was welcoming, but her eyes held an unyielding gaze that made it clear who was in control.