Chapter 35: "Truths of the wind."

"You can't be serious," Seo-Jin uttered, his voice hinting with slight resentment as he was confused. His father's words echoed in his mind, The possibility of completely shaking his perception of who he is and his role in the world continued to roam & loomed threateningly.

Minister Kim let out a deep sigh and looked at his son with a combination of remorse and comprehension in his eyes. He made a hand gesture for Seo-Jin to remain seated and silently encouraged him to pay attention and understand the details that were going to be disclosed.

"I am your father, Seo-Jin, but there are truths that have remained hidden for far too long," Minister Kim began, his voice tinged with sorrow. "Do you remember when you spoke to Lady Choi? She mentioned that Sa-Wol was killed because she had discovered the queen's child had not been killed but rather sold away."

Seo-Jin nodded slowly as if the scenes of a painting slowly coming together.

Minister Kim continued. "Your mother and I, we were unable to have children of our own. It was a heartbreaking realization for both of us. Little did we know that you, Seo-Jin, were the child who was sold off to be raised as a servant."

As Seo-Jin's breath caught in his throat, he noticed the change in his father's gaze. Minister Kim's voice softened, a touch of sorrow seeping through his words, as he continued to recount the haunting story of Seo-jin's sale:

"A man emerged from the crowd, with you in his hands the winter you were found" Minister Kim narrated, his voice carrying a melancholic melody. "He had bravely confronted the heartless buyers, your mother would say that their greed etched upon their faces like a scar."

Seo-Jin's imagination painted vivid scenes of the chaotic marketplace while taking in the words his father delivered.

Minister Kim continued, his voice tinged with a mix of anger and grief. "Sadly, in a flurry of desperate blows, they struck down the defiant man. He was still on the ground his arms holding onto you tightly as they let go little by little. You were so cold that your cries themselves sounded smothered by the falling snow. And amidst the chaos, your mother, though stricken with terror, she rushed to the fallen man's side," Minister Kim described, his voice choked with emotion. "She pleaded with them, her words like one would describe desperate prayers whispered to the heavens, bargaining for your freedom, promising to pay a ransom far beyond reason. Your mother offered extra money on top of what they asked for," Minister Kim revealed, his voice heavy with a mixture of awe and regret. "With a begrudging acceptance, they accepted the exorbitant sum she offered, sealing your fate as her precious child."

Minister Kim paused and looked up, " I was mad at her that day when I heard she placed herself in harm's way. She had you hidden away in the room by the time I came home, but she always said the moment she clasped you to her chest, her tears she said you were meant to be hers," Minister Kim concluded, his voice brimming with a profound mixture of pride and sorrow. "You can understand the surprise I felt to come home to a child. Still, I hadn't seen your mother so happy as she was in that moment in such a long time I couldn't help but come to also be grateful for you."

Seo-jin sighed, taking in what he was being told once more. " Did the queen ever discover the truth about me? And if she did, why didn't she try to establish a relationship with me?"

Minister Kim's gaze turned distant, his eyes clouded with a complexity of emotions. He took a moment to gather his thoughts, the silence between them stretching like a taut thread.

"Seo-Jin, your mother and I only learned the truth much later," Minister Kim began, his voice laden with regret. " We were both so unaware of your right to the palace. After all, how could we have guessed? We were told the queen lost a daughter, not a son. and believed she had lost a daughter, not a son."