Chapter 21: "Blossoms in the Wind"

The impending closing of the summer sent its mild winds affectionately brushing against Ayodele's skin as she relaxed in repose on the pillowy expanse of grass, her gaze held captive by the expanse of the overhead blue.

This space was now her heart's retreat, a soothing lull in the royal obligations of palace life that continually played around her.

The grass below, in its gentleness, seemed to cradle her back in an embrace of comfort.

Her attire for the day was a hanbok, unassuming in its elegance, and perhaps not the most cherished in her vast wardrobe, which only served to free her from worries of any potential smudges marring its fabric.

The hanbok boasted of a jeogori, or jacket, in a shade of soft lavender, complemented by a vibrant chima, or skirt, hued in a soothing sea-green. Its sleeves were slightly more wide and flowing than her others, giving a an odd fit, still the skirt billowed out in generous folds, inviting the summer breeze to play among its layers. Beautiful silver embroidery graced the collar and cuffs, adding a muted shimmer to the otherwise simple design, the garment held an endearing charm, with its unpretentious beauty and comfort.

Regardless the most important things still stands, this hanbok didn't rank high on her list of favorites.

Her Afro, spread around her, a striking contrast against the vibrant hues of her hanbok and the emerald grass beneath. Each coil and curl, kissed by the sun.

The playful snickering of her maidservants as they passed by only added to the scene, their bewildered delight over their Crown Princess's unconventional antics ringing out like comfort music in the still afternoon air.

Lady Song and Afi approached her, concern etched on their faces, but Ayodele silenced them with a wave of her hand.

"Shh," she whispered, a gentle smile gracing her lips. "Let me savor the last moments of sunlight." It's already been a long day."

Her gaze wandered across the vast cerulean gallery, taking in the wisps of cotton candy clouds that painted the sky. The melody of nature's singing filled the air, a soothing symphony that serenaded her solitude. Ayodele felt a sense of freedom in this small pocket of nature, away from the prying eyes and expectations that weighed on her as the Crown Princess.

Engulfed in the depths of her musings, Ayodele was oblivious to the impending company until an unexpected shade eclipsed the sun's warm radiance, a brief interruption to her peace.

"Afi, or perhaps Lady Song, if it's your intent to have me change my spot by playing the sun's gatekeeper, I must inform you, it's a futile effort," Ayodele's words were tinted with playfulness as she was serious, a soft sigh coloring her sentence's end.

Taken aback, she elevated herself into a seated position, rotating her head to investigate the source of her interruption. Her eyes widened with surprise as they met with the Crown Prince, his imposing figure casting the long shadow. A hint of impish delight danced in his eyes.

He stood tall, cloaked in the royal hanbok that accentuated his commanding presence. From this angle, the sun cast a gentle highlight around his figure, outlining his refined features with an almost ethereal glow. His hair, neatly tied into a topknot, complemented his sharp eyes, and handsome gaze that lingered within it.

"You seem to be enjoying yourself," he remarked, his voice laced with a hint of playfulness.

Ayodele's caught off guard by his sudden appearance. She shot him a teasing smile, before laying back down unbothered.

"Well, it's not every day one gets to bask in the warmth of the sun and witness the beauty of the sky," she replied. "Care to join me, or are you too dignified for such simple pleasures?"