Chapter 54

Engulfed in the turmoil of recent palace affairs, Ji-yun found herself wandering aimlessly, her feet inexorably leading her toward the king's chamber. The escalating sequence of events left her restless, her mind plagued by a gnawing unease that refused to subside. She had to speak with the king before the queen could, she resolved; it was her only chance to control the narrative.

Sadly, as Ji-yun neared the corridor that housed the king's quarters, her thoughts whirled with meticulously rehearsed words of persuasion, and she halted in her tracks. A voice echoed through the silent hallway, the poised yet resolute tones unmistakably belonging to the queen.

Sighing with a growing annoyance, Ji-yun decided to linger in the shadows, curiosity nipping at her senses. She discreetly pressed herself against the stone wall, her breath hitching as she listened in on the intimate conversation.

"Is Seo-jin truly our son, Hye-rin?" The king's voice seemed to beg with desperation.

"Yes," the queen confirmed, her voice steady despite the gravity of the confirmation. "He is our son."

Ji-yun felt her heart plummet at the affirmation, the blood rushing in her ears as the room seemed to spin around her. But before she could fully comprehend the impact of the revelation, the queen continued, and this time she, was expressing her wish to leave the king's presence.

"I came here because you begged and I wanted to give you that chance. Not because I wanted to. I have no further business with you," she declared, attempting to end the conversation.

"Wait!" The king pled. "How can you be certain that it's true?"

Hye-rin paused, her slender figure framed by the flickering torchlight as she turned back to face the king. "It was Sa-wol's husband, who saved Seo-jin all those years ago. She told me her husband saved a child I just didn't know it was Seo-jin at the time until recently.

Ji-yun arched her brow as she let out a gasp caught in her throat as she began to grasp the gravity of the revelation. Her father had saved Seo-jin, his act of bravery leading to his untimely death. At that moment she didn't know if it made her angry or put her at ease to find out how much of her family she lost as a result of helping the royal family.

"Your words... they make no sense, Hye-rin," The king, mirroring Ji-yun's own confusion, stuttered out his incomprehension. "Explain to me."

With an air of finality, the queen dismissed his plea. "Understanding won't change the past. It is better for you to keep your distance from me now," she concluded.

Still lingering outside, Ji-yun's heart pounded fiercely against her rib cage, the fear of her past misdeeds coming to light adding to her mounting anxiety. However, before she could dwell further on the potential catastrophe, the king's voice broke through her frantic thoughts.

"Look, I called you head to say my faults. I...I must apologize," he began hesitantly, the weight of his mistakes seemingly crushing him.

Yet, before he could utter another word, the queen interjected sharply, "You and your mother...both of you were equally ruthless. Your sorry doesn't mend the trust you've shattered."

The king continued to stand helpless, his repentance brushed aside ruthlessly. "You inflicted pain on our son, and you broke my trust. Embarrassing me in the face of all those around," she added, her tone laced with an indescribable sadness.

As Ji-yun grappled with the harsh reality of the queen's words, another bombshell was casually dropped. "Regardless...It's of no consequence now. None of it matters because I am happy. I'm a grandmother now. Ayodele has just birthed a child."