Chapter 44: " Scarlet Splendor, Veiled Desires."

After some meetings with the Minsters' Sons Ayodele ventured down the hallways of the palace, her thoughts swirling like the snowflakes outside. As she passed the Crown Prince's room, she hesitated. Taking a deep breath, she pushed open the door and stepped inside.

The room was now stark and empty. In the room's center, a servant busied herself with cleaning, her back to Ayodele. She didn't turn at Ayodele's entrance, merely continued her tasks.

"Forgive me for intruding, Lady Choi mentioned there would be some cleaning today," Ayodele said softly. The woman's movements paused briefly, but she said nothing in response. Sensing her discomfort, Ayodele decided to retreat, "I'll come back later. Please continue with your work."

With that, Ayodele quietly withdrew, leaving the woman alone in the room. Back in her own room, Ayodele was greeted by the comforting presence of Afi and Lady Song.

Plopping down on her cushion, she sighed, "You wouldn't believe the number of men I had to meet today," she complained, reaching for a piece of fruit.

As Ayodele recounted her meetings, as Lady Song and Afi helped her change, her silk hanbok replaced with a more comfortable attire. They exchanged glances and a knowing smile as they noticed the slight bulge in Ayodele's midsection.

"There's no need to worry about those men, Your Highness," Lady Song finally spoke, her hands lightly resting on Ayodele's belly. "After all, our true future heir is right here."

At those words, a genuine smile crept onto Ayodele's face, the first one of the day. For a moment, all her worries and plans melted away, replaced by the quiet joy of her unborn child. Despite all the chaos, life, it seemed, was finding a way to bloom.

The palace grounds were suffused with an otherworldly radiance as the fresh snowfall glistened under the warm glow of the sun. In her sleeping chamber, Ayodele awakened and the rustling of her silk garments filled the stillness as she got out of her bed. Afi was already there, waiting with a bowl of warm water for Ayodele to wash her face.

"Good morning," she greeted, her eyes twinkling with quiet warmth. "Did you sleep well?"

Ayodele simply nodded, her mind still foggy from sleep. As she freshened up, Lady Song entered the room, a platter of breakfast in her hands. The comforting aroma of warm rice and seasoned vegetables filled the room, coaxing Ayodele's senses awake.

"Today, we have another round of meetings," Lady Song said, her voice steady. "The ministers' sons are eager for your attention, Sejabinmama."

Ayodele nodded, paying it no mind. Her thoughts elsewhere. " They can wait can't they?" She asked.

Afi and Lady Song shared a glance, curiosity sparking in their eyes, but they said nothing. They knew better than to press Ayodele when she was discerned. Instead, they helped Ayodele dress after finishing her breakfast.

"With that being said, Lady Song, please inform the ministers' sons that I will meet them in the afternoon," she instructed, "For now, I have some unfinished business to take care of."

With her final instructions, Ayodele walked out of her room, her silhouette framed against the glow of the morning sun.

Ayodele was led by the guard through the dank, gloomy corridors of the palace dungeon. Her face held an expression of serenity, though beneath the surface her mind. Returned to her present as she wrinkled her nose at the disgust of the smells lingering.

Upon reaching Kang-ho's cell, she saw him standing up.  Kang-ho was waiting for her, a wild desperation glinting in his eyes.

" I was told you called for me." Ayodele said walking in.