Curiosity Killed the Cat - Reiner x Reader

*SPOILERS!!!11!

Don't read this chapter if you haven't been up-to-date with the manga!

Reiner had been avoiding you lately, sneaking off during meals and not showing up for training when you two planned on sparring or just hanging out the day before. He'd been getting exceptionally close and secluded with his other best friends, Bertholdt and Annie, but those two never bothered you much. The only thing that bothered you was the amount of time that Reiner had been spending with you lately-

which was no time at all.

Basically, the last time you had even spoke was about 3 weeks ago. Yep, 3 weeks. 21 days. Many hours and seconds lost and wasted because he was busy doing heavens knows what. The thought of him avoiding you bothered your very soul, to the point where you made conclusions about why.

Maybe he doesn't like me as a friend anymore, or he thinks I'm too annoying...

You didn't see why he would just stop hanging out with you all of a sudden - you couldn't really put your finger on a good reason. Was he dealing with personal problems? Issues? He knew that you could help him with anything he'd be going through - after all, you two were the bestest of friends.

Thinking that he was going through some problems, you decided that worrying about it didn't help anything, so you simply did something about it.

As he left with his friends - Bertholdt and Annie - during the middle of dinner once again, you simply sat at your table for a few minutes before secretly following them behind, making sure not to attract anyone from the Mess Hall and suspect that you were on some secret mission. You made your footsteps lighter each time you took a step against the ground, trying to follow their silhouette through the darkness of the night sky, the pathway illuminated only by a few wall torches.

You couldn't make out their conversation, but their words and speech were audible, only if you and them hadn't been walking. You were thankful that they hadn't suspected you trailing their tail after about 10 minutes of mindless walking. You couldn't tell, but you were following them until they stopped behind the buildings of the barracks.

They stood beside the torch that was lit on the wall, and was the only one illuminating the small area. You hid behind the corner and peeked your head out the wall with only your eye, not wanting to be seen but wanting to hear their conversation.

"Is everything all set?" you heard a female voice begin, which you recognized as Annie's. You didn't understand or knew what the conversation was about, so you simply just hid there with your back against the wall, listening to their hushed but audible talk. You wanted to get to the bottom of Reiner's absence and delays towards you, and following him around secretly was probably the safest and only way to do it.

"Yes," a deep, male voice replied, which you easily recognized as Reiner's. "we have the time and place set for attack - the day before graduation, and the vanguard of Trost district."

...Attack?

"Good... and your plan for the breach?"

"Bertholdt is assigned to the Fixed Artillery Squad 7, which is commanded to be working on the far left side of the wall. He'll commence the attack once he finds an opportunity."

"Reiner, we never really discussed how that 'opportunity' is gonna come-" began Bertholdt.

"Oh, right... well, we'll take a shot whenever we know when the time is right."

"...and if there isn't any good time?" he asked concerningly, the worry in his voice barely oblivious to the ear.

"Then make time." replied Annie, her voice giving more of a blizzard than just a hailstorm.