(Modern AU) Hope and Liquor - Jean x Reader

*I wrote this while waiting for comments on my second announcement.

Current requests are being processed!

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀❁࿐✶⋆

The orange tinted booze slipped down your throat, setting the small glass back down on the counter top quite loudly. Throughout the noise of the bar however, the glass was nothing but a background sound. You felt the liquid burning your throat as it traveled down, down into the depths of your insides. Your liver was surely going to be punishing you later for this.

In front of you was the bar, where long lines of different beers, wine, and other alcohol were placed carefully and in a manner that was pleasing to the eye. You couldn't help the feeling of wanting to drown yourself in toxic as you wanted to burn the misery out of your heart.

Amongst the spacious part besides the bar were tables, chairs, and a pool table. Various people walked into the strong aroma of beer and sweat, before heading off to their seats and getting themselves drunk while watching the latest football game on the TV that hung above the bar. You however, weren't here just for the time of your life and getting drunk for the fun of it.

The events that took place earlier today was still on your mind, graciously adding to your will of getting yourself knocked out before heading back home. You recalled what happened and can't help but wonder why the world was so against you...

You left the house shortly after eating your morning breakfast of two pancakes, with a side of oranges. You were heading off to work today at Rose Capital, a retail store that sold various arts and crafts items. Although you hoped for a better job after finishing high school and going into college, you couldn't help the universal fact that retail is the best type of job for rookies out there. You evidently had no choice since you needed a source of income, but the store you worked at seemed much better than the other stores that college students were living off of, such as McDonalds.

After locking the front door of your apartment complex, you headed off to your car before noticing that a ringing noise emitted from your purse. Sighing, you slowed your pace as you began fishing out your phone.

Who the fuck calls at six in the morning? If I didn't have a job, I'd be sleeping in until twelve in the afternoon.

You finally got a hold of your smartphone and took a look at the caller ID. It read "Sisterly Sister" and you quickly answered. It was your sister, calling all the way from New York, while you were currently staying in California.

"Hello?" you answered as you opened the door to the back of the car, placing your other belongings on the chair.

"(F/n), something terrible happened." your sister's serious tone took you to surprise. Normally when she called, her giddy and happy spirit would slightly make you cringe, though you didn't mind at how happy she must be. However, it seemed as if something was happening, and it involved you.

"What? What happened?" you asked as you got into the driver's seat of your car. You knew better than to be on the phone while driving without some sort of Bluetooth or earphones, so you sat there, waiting eagerly for her response.

"It's about mom, she..." your sister's words were cut off before your heard a slight sob.

Fuck.

"What's wrong with mom?" you asked so anxiously. You didn't want an answer but at the same time, you needed to know what was going on.

"She collapsed at the retirement center..." her voice trailed off as your eyes widened. You stared straight in front of you, eying the large building in front of you which was your apartment complex. You couldn't move or think for a while.