The Garden and the Flower - Jean x Reader

"Eren!"

   You called out to the walking brunette. Said person was making his way towards the cafeteria, though at the sound of his name by a familiar voice, he stopped in his tracks and took a look behind him. He gave a small smile as he saw you slightly jogging to catch up with him.

   "Hey (Y/N), do you need something?" he asked as his smile grew a bit more wider as you neared him. You responded by flashing a grin.

   Eren had been your friend ever since joining the training corps. Although you were shy and weren't excited at meeting with strangers at first, meeting him and his fellow friends brought a change to your timid personality. Mikasa, his adoptive sister, taught you valuable hand-to-hand combat skills, which proved useful ever since winning a sparring match with Eren. Armin, their bookworm friend, educated you on some geography, vocabulary, and astronomy, ever since he accidentally bumped into you while taking a walk late at night.

   When you were forced to come into contact with people you'd never met before, it definitely changed you for the better. Eren, Mikasa, and Armin were credited with this - with their own individual strengths and beliefs, they molded you into a unique and somewhat mature being, much different to how you were a few years ago.

"Nothing, I just wanted to walk with you to lunch." you replied, your smile widening a little more.

   "Oh, alright." he stated before looking straight ahead. After a few seconds of walking, you could already smell the aroma of warm food filling the air. You could sense that chicken, whole wheat bread, and a side of salad were today's main lunch. After all, it was the most common lunch you've had ever since joining the military.

   The hall was almost completely filled with soldiers eating away at their meals. In a quick moment, you scanned the tables and seats, seeing familiar and not-so-familiar faces as you did. Before you knew it, your eyes locked onto two particular people. After picking up your meal, you made your way towards them.

   "Hey guys! How's your day been so far?" you took a seat across from Mikasa and happily dove into your meal.

"Alright, I suppose." Mikasa replied just as she finished her meal. It always surprised you how quick she was able to eat her meal.

   "Same with me." Armin replied as his eyes were glued to a book he was reading. He was looking rather intensely at the pages - it was obvious that he was deep in the story.

"You really love reading Armin, don't you?" you smiled at the familiar sight.

"Yes, I very much do. It's my bread and butter." he replied, smiling a bit to himself sheepishly.

"Well, there's your bread," Eren butted in as he took a bite from his meal. "I'm guessing your book is the butter?"

   A slight chuckle erupted from the four of you. After a few minutes of chatting and talking, it was time for everyone to tend to their individual duties. Mikasa left the table due to scheduled chores around the camp, and Armin was too busy reading, so Eren and you were the only ones talking at the table.

   After laughing at a joke Eren made, a glaring, muffin-top cadet from across the room stared at you from afar. His golden eyes were locked onto you, and he clenched his fist as Eren poked your nose lightly, making you giggle childishly. If anyone were to notice this sight, they could definitely tell that he was jealous at the sight of his crush in his rival's hands.

This muffin-top was none other than Jean Kirschtein.

   Of course, you never noticed him staring or checking you out, since you barely knew him and only focused on what was important - training and friends. However, Jean knew you very well, but only from his former close friend, Marco - before he was killed in Trost. He had developed feelings for you over the past few years of training, and he would always daydream and think about you in secrecy, though it was a completely hidden. He was never good at expressing his feelings and whenever he was around you, he always withdrew into the background and shadows, hoping you wouldn't notice his blushing face and gawking eyes.