p a r t t h r e e

December 5th, 2018.
Edmonton St Louis
— — —

"Davis, can you come here sweetie?"

I sighed and stood up, knowing exactly what this was about, before making my way over to her desk.

"What happened with all your tests?" She asked.

I ran a hand through my hand and sighed again, "I've been too focused on trying to get my arm back to where it's supposed to be, and I haven't had the time to study. I'm so sorry, I won't-"

"Stop, stop," she put her hand up, "you do understand what happens if you keep failing, right?"

"Yes, yea I know." I nodded.

"I don't want to see you fail McKay," she shook her head, "you have so much going for you at the moment. Being in the nhl, a woman, and now you're about to graduate, become a physical therapist? Everything is going right for you, don't mess this up for yourself."

"I know, I won't." I mumbled.

"Now what's going on with the other papers you were supposed to give me?" She asked.

"I'm working on them, I'll have them to you by Monday, I promise." I nodded.

"Kay, you keep making these promises, and then it's even longer before you-" "I know, I know. I'm really trying, trust me, please."

She sighed, running her hands over her face, "this is the last chance you have Davis. If I don't see those papers on Monday, I'm giving you an F."

All I could do was nod, not having anything else to say.

"I have high hopes for you, don't let me down." She pointed at me. "I won't." I shook my head.

"Now go home, and study!" She giggled and walked back into the room.

"I plan on it," I laughed, "bye Miss Jones." I waved, picking up my bag. "Goodbye Kay." She smiled, closing the door.

— — —

The drive home was stressful, I knew I needed to step it up. I wasn't going to give myself another option, I was passing this class, and I was getting that Degree.

As I stepped inside my apartment, I immediately felt my phone vibrate in my back pocket, "fuck, now?"

I pulled it out and saw Vince was calling, I answered, putting it on speaker.

"What's up?"

"I see you made it out alive," he laughed, "how did it go? What happened?"

"If I fail another test, I'm gonna fail. If I don't give her my missed tests, I'm gonna fail. If I don't study, I'm gonna fail. If-"

"Okay, god damn! What the hell have you been doing?" He asked.

"Not paying enough attention to school." I sighed, walking to my bedroom. "Well pay more attention." He told me.

I rolled my eyes, "that's the plan dumbass."

"Woah, no need to be rude." "Did you call just to ask how class went?" I laughed.

"No, of course not. I called to see if you're getting a break anytime soon."

"Christmas, other than that, no." I shook my head, setting my phone down as I changed into more comfortable clothes.

"Mind if we come see you?"

I sighed, "who's 'we'?" "Me and Sammy. Except without Sammy, no way-" "Excuse me!?"