p a r t s i x t e e n

March 19th, 2019.
Edmonton St Louis
— — —

"I lied."

"What?" "I've been lying to you all for the last few days." Craig, our coach, laughed.

"About tonight's mystery spot, huh?" Sammy asked. "Obviously," he nodded, "what else?"

"Well there's an hour until the game, so we have to know who it is." Robby said.

"Oh I know," he nodded again, "that's what I'm here to talk to you all about."

Everyone shared a look with each other.

"Unless of course, she wants to tell you herself." He shrugged and motioned towards me.

I stood up and walked to the front of the locker room, not even getting a chance to say anything before they all cheered.

"I knew it!" Sammy laughed, "I was right! I knew it! Oh my god!" I couldn't help but giggle, they seemed like they were more excited than I was, even though it seemed impossible.

"How long have you known?" Robby asked.

"I found out like four days ago, Vince and I-"
"Wait Vince knew?!" Sammy asked.

"He went with me." I laughed.

"And you didn't tell us?!" Sammy laughed as well, shaking his head, "some friend you are." He said, sarcastically.

"She wanted to surprise you guys, calm your tits." Vince laughed.

"Are you playing tonight?" Alex Pietrangelo, our team captain asked.

"Yea," I nodded, "I wanted to come back in front of our home crowd, so I waited for tonight." I giggled and looked at Vince.

— — —

We waited as they did pregame things on the ice, just having fun with the crowd, when our coach grabbed a microphone and we all heard his voice over the speakers.

"How you feeling tonight St Louis?!" The crowd cheered, which felt amazing.

"Good, good! I think you guys can feel even better though.." He stopped, knowing they were confused. "Remember that open spot on the lineup?"

The crowd cheered again, knowing exactly what was coming.

Social media had been on a buzz, knowing my return would be sometime soon with how long I was out.

"Well it belongs to a special someone, who you all know very well."

Hearing the crowd chant my last name for the first time in five months felt amazing.

THIS is why I wanted to come back in front of our home crowd.

Neither Pittsburgh or Buffalo could've gave me a better reaction.

"Please help me welcome back.."

The fact that he didn't have to do this, and still did, made me feel so much better.

This was a surprise for me too, I had no idea he was going to make such a big deal of it.

"McKay Davis!"

I giggled and made my way onto the ice, waving to everyone, keeping a big smile on my face.

I skated to the middle of the ice, where coach was standing, and we shook hands. "Congratulations, we're all so proud of you."