p a r t t h i r t e e n

January 3rd, 2019.
Washington St Louis
— — —

"This is why women shouldn't be in the nhl."

I rolled my eyes, turning away from Olivia, who stood at the front of the room, giving a speech that was completely irrelevant to whatever the teacher was trying to tell us.

"Woah.. wait!" Someone spoke up, making everyone turn to face her, "if I may?" He looked at the teacher.

She just nodded, to which he walked to the front, beside Olivia. I leaned back in my seat and sighed, looking down at my paper.

"McKay?"

My head shot up, looking at the boy in front of me. He had his hand out, nodding towards me.

I had never met this guy before, but I was curious as to where he was going with this, so I accepted and stood up, following him as he stood beside Olivia.

"Here!" He pointed at me, "she is why women should be in the nhl."

"Okay-" "No, wait, please." He looked at me, I just sighed and nodded, allowing him to continue.

"Do you know who she is?" He looked at Olivia, and then the rest of the class.

Everyone nodded, of course they did.

It was hard not to laugh, but I tried anyway.

"Right, because who doesn't? This girl literally makes history-" "Oh fucking hell, can we-" "language!" The teacher cut Olivia off, she scoffed and rolled her eyes.

"May I continue?" The boy asked. "Go ahead Nick." The teacher nodded.

Nick, his name is Nick.

"Like I was saying.. she makes history every time she steps on the ice, and I'm not sure how many of the girls in this room watch her play, but I know every one of the guys watch, and some of us don't even watch hockey!"

The guys all nodded, looking at me.

"I know a few of the women do too, because they're usually the ones who invite us over to watch." He added, causing everyone to nod once again.

"Let's be honest, I know our school's hockey team is good, but she's better." He pointed at me.

"She's clearly an amazing player, otherwise she wouldn't be in the nhl. It's hard to hate on someone who is extremely talented at something a lot of us couldn't do." He laughed.

"She's really not that good-" "Olivia, with all due respect, you're wrong." He shrugged.

I laughed, shaking my head as I looked away from everyone.

"I'm sorry, can I ask one question?" One of the girls in the corner spoke up. "What?" Nick sighed.

"If she's in the nhl, why did she go back to college?" "I wanted to become a physical therapist," I shrugged, "I didn't do it the first time, so here we are." I told her, nodding.

"So how are you playing in the nhl and going to college at the same time?" "She's not." Olivia shook her head.

"I'm out for an injury." I nodded, looking back at the girl. She just replied with a nod, "well get better soon." She smiled and turned back to a paper she had on the desk.