Part 6

"So why are the drivers friendships kept a secret?"

"Because its nice to have something we can keep to ourselves - away from the media."

Charles nods in understanding, humming in agreement with Emilia as she smiled down at him.

Straight after qualifying had ended, media had been done and the debriefs gone through. The drivers had headed back to the hotel, messaging on their secret group chat about another outing later that evening - but not too late of course.

They did have a race to drive in the next day.

Charles had left the paddock with Emilia, having sought her out after qualifying with a happy smile. So the two now sat on the mattress of Emilia's bed in her hotel room, the Brazilian leant back against the pillows and the headboard whilst Charles lay across the mattress, legs hanging off the edge of the bed and head resting in Emilia's lap.

Both of them tried to forget about how Jules used to sit next to Emilia with Charles' legs placed over his lap.

"So, not only are all the drivers really good friends. But you all spend loads of time together outside of race weekends, have a group chat, get drunk in clubs all the time and go on secret outings at night that your bosses don't know about?" He asks.

"To sum it all up , yeah." Emilia laughs.

"I did not expect that when I signed my contract."

"Not many people do, its always funny to see how people react to it."

"Oh, and I forgot to mention the communal motorhome and hidden areas of the paddock."

"Those too, yeah."

Charles laughs, looking up at the woman he saw as a sister as she brushed his hair back from his face. Emilia didn't care that he was turning 21 that year, to her, Charles would always be that hyperactive, extroverted 14 year old that she met back in 2012.

He would always be her little brother.

"You know, Jules told me a lot about the paddock."

"I know." Emilia's smiles softly. "He talked about you a lot."

"He did?" Charles asks, eyes lighting up.

"Mhm." Emilia hums. "Whenever he could."

"Do you miss him, Emmy?" Charles' voice became quiet as he asked the question.

Emilia let out a breath, leaning her head back against the headboard behind her as she felt Charles' gaze flicker onto her face. She ended up smiling and lifting her head again so that she was able to look down at him once more.

"Everyday."

"I think he would be proud of you."

"Really? Why?"

"Because your amazing." Charles says happily. "You defy every single odd that gets placed against you."

"Yeah?" Emilia asks, running her fingers through his hair again causing him to close his eyes.

"Yeah." Charles breathes out. "And you take care of me at the same time."

"Hey, someone has to keep you in check right?" She laughs.

"And I'm glad that its you." Charles opens his eyes.

Emilia tilts her head, smiling a warm smile down at the Sauber driver who smiled one back in return.

"Yeah well, I wouldn't want anyone else taking care of my little brother anyways."

Emilia wasn't one for sappy shit. All of that 'I love you to the moon and back' bullshit was unreal to her. Hearing people talk about destiny and fates colliding just seemed like a bunch of shit that Netflix would put into a tv show to get views off of, or lovesick teenage girls looking to do something with their life just because their crush didn't love them back.