Part 41

"Are you okay?"

Everything hurt.

There was a ringing in her ears, a pounding in her head, an intense pain shooting through all the nerves that ran across her body making her want to scream and cry until there was nothing left.

"Emilia?"

She couldn't make her brain work.

She so desperately wanted to cry out down the radio that she was alive, that she could smell the smoke and feel the heat licking at her back. She wanted to press that button and scream as loudly as she could just to make it known that she was still fighting.

But she couldn't make her mouth move and any form of physical movement she could manage made everything hurt ten times more.

Encased in the darkness of the cockpit pressed up against the wall the only light she was given to show her proof that a world outside this existed was from the flames bursting from the engine and slowly eating away at the carbon fibre bodywork of her McLaren Formula One car. Slowly but surely getting closer and closer to her to the point she knew she had seconds to get her mind to function correctly before the flames took away the last of her fight.

"Emilia are you okay?"

When the smoke fought into the cockpit she couldn't breath. The feeling of the flames hitting her back and trying to break through her suit made her scream the loudest scream she had ever screamed in her life. Her mind only able to focus on the feeling of the fire against her back which was now slowly beginning to encase her to notice the fact that she had pressed the radio button.

"Em! Breathe, listen to me!" The voice was frantic but it wasn't Patrick on the other end. "Emily!"

"It hurts." Emilia was sobbing, brain barely configuring together sentences now.

"I know, breathe with me." Daniel Ricciardo's voice was soft, compared to how he actually felt.

The smoke got worse and now she could see the flames in her vision but was too scared to turn her head because she knew she would come face to face with them. Breathing became difficult and black spots clouded the edge of her vision, the sound of her boyfriends voice in her ears fluctuating as she clung to the last of her consciousness.

When it fell silent on the end of that radio, everyone's hearts sank and their tears raised.

After hearing that scream and the pain in her voice when she finally replied down the radio to her boyfriend, everyone believed that she had joined Jules and her father in heaven.

Hearing the deathly silence that he believed to be the demise of his one and only love, Daniel Ricciardo sank to the floor of the McLaren pit lane unable to breathe and becoming completely disorientated with reality. His body barely registered the shouts that Patrick continued to do down the radio, or Zac Brown and other team principals begging for updates on the situation from the FIA. He didn't even register when Max and Sebastian appeared at his side trying desperately to snap him from his state of shock.

Charles Leclerc had managed to get his helmet off with shaking hands before collapsing onto the floor. The Monegasque lay in the arms of his best friend, in a semi-conscious state staring forwards into whatever nothingness sat before his eyes because his brain was shielding him from the trauma of losing his big sister. For he had been driving behind her when the accident had taken its course and had witnessed the entire thing with his own eyes.

Sebastian Vettel wanted to break down, for the second time he was praying to whoever was up there to make sure that Emilia Senna was brought out of the car alive and well. Maybe with a few cuts and bruises but nothing life-threatening or life-ending. He wanted to break down like he did on that one fateful day back in 2010, allow the arms of whoever was closest to him lock around him and comfort him, whispering reassuring words in his ears even though the person probably didn't believe them themselves.