chapter 1

BIBLE POV:-

There were worse things then being stranded in the middle of nowhere during a rainstorm. Like, I could be tied to a chair with a man torturing me? I played my favorite song "somebody to you" on repeat. It was raining heavily, but just because things can be worse doesn't means that they didn't suck. Stop. Think positive bible.
"An Uber will show up... Now" I stared at my phone. Holding back my frustrations when the all reassured me it was "finding my ride" the way it had been for the past half hour.
Normally, I would be less stressed about the situation because yeah, atleast I had a working phone and a bus shelter to keep me mostly dry from the heavily pouring rain. But Jonathan's party was starting in an hour. I had to yet pickup his surprise cake from the bakery and it would be dark soon. I may be a glass half full kinda boy but I surely am not an idiot.
No one especially not a college boy with zero fighting skills to speak of wants to find herself alone in the middle of nowhere after dark. I should've taken those self defense class with Jonathan like he wanted. I mentally scrolled through the limited options. The bus that was supposed to stop at this location didn't ran on the weekends. And most of my friends didn't own a car. Build (friend) had a car service but he was at a fashion event until seven. Uber wasn't working and I hadn't seen a single car pass by since the rain started. Not that I would ask someone for a ride. Now I only had one option left I didn't wanted to take but there's nothing else I could do. I pulled up the contact in my phone. Said a silent prayer and pressed the call button. 𝗢𝗻𝗲 𝗿𝗶𝗻𝗴. 𝗧𝘄𝗼 𝗿𝗶𝗻𝗴𝘀. 𝗧𝗵𝗿𝗲𝗲 "come on pick up" or maybe not. I wasn't sure that which would be terrible. Getting murder or dealing with my brother. Of course there is a Chance that my brother would murder me himself for putting myself in such a situation, but we can deal with that later. "What's wrong" i sighed at my brother's greeting.
"Hello to you as well dearest brother. What makes you think that something is wrong?" Jonathan snorted. "You called me. You never call unless you're in trouble" true. We prefer texting as we lived the next door to each other. Not my idea but yes we barely had to message each other at all.
"I wouldn't say that I'm in trouble....More like like stranded. I'm not near the public transport and I can't find an Uber" " Jesus Christ, bible where the hell are you?" I told him my location " what the hell are you doing there? That's like an hour from the campus!" I sighed " don't be dramatic, I had an engagement shoot and it's a thirty minutes drive. Forty five if there's traffic" thunder went louder, shaking the branches of nearby trees. I winced and shrank further back into the shelter. Not that it did me much good, the rain slanted sideways. Splattering me with water droplets so heavy and hard. They stung when they hit my skin. A rustling noise came from Jonathan's end. Followed by a soft moan. I paused. Sure I'd heard wrong but nope. There it was again, another moan. My eyes widened in horror."ARE YOU HAVING SEX RIGHT NOW?!" I whisper shouted even though there was nobody around " technically no" Jonathan sounded unrepentant. The word  "technically" did alot of heavy lifting there. It didn't take a genius to decipher Jonathan's vague reply. He may not be having intercourse. But something was going on. And I have zero desire to find out what that  "something" was "Jonathan sumettikul!" I yelled out his name. "Hey you're the one who called me" he must've covered his phone with his hand because his next words came through muffled. I heard a soft feminine laugh followed by a squel and I wanted to bleach my ears. My eyes and my mind. "One of the guys took my car to buy more ice" Jonathan said. His voice clear again. "But don't worry I got you drop a pin on your exact location and keep your phone close." "Okay thank you Jonathan" I thanked. "You're welcome, stay put. And he will be there soon. We'll talk about your complete lack of self preservation later" what the hell. "I'm self preserved!" I protested. Was that the right word- "it's not my fault that there are no Ubers. Wait- what do you mean by "he" Johnathan!" Too late. He already hung up. Figured the one time I wanted him to elaborate. He'd ditch me for one of his bed buddies. I was surprised that he didn't freaked out more. Considering Johnathan put the "over" in overprotective. Ever since. "The incident" he'd taken it upon himself to look after me like he was my brother and bodyguard rolled into one. I didn't blamed him. Our childhood had been a hundred shades of messed up. Or so I'd been told. And I loved him to pieces. But his constant worry could be a bit much. I sat sideways on the bench and hugged my bag to my side. Letting the cracked leather warm my skin while I waited for the mysterious "he" to show up. It could be anyone, Johnathan had no shortage of friends. He has always been the Mr popular basketball player, student body president and homecoming king in highschool. Sigma fraternity brother and big man on campus in college. I was his opposite. Not unpopular per sec. But I shied away from the limelight. And would rather have the small group of friends then a large group of friends. Where Johnathan was the life of the party. I sat in the corner and daydreamed about all the places I would love to visit but would probably never get to. Not if my phobia had to do anything with it. My damn phobia. I knew it was all mental. But it felt physical. The nausea, the reaching heart. The paralyzing fear that turned my limbs into useless, frozen things. On the right side. Atleast I wasn't afraid of rain. Oceans and lakes and pools I'd avoid. But rain, yeah that would've been bad. I wasn't sure how long I hunddled in the tiny bus shelter. Cursing my lack of foresight when I turned down Jeff's offer to drive me back to town after our shoot. I didn't wanted to inconvenience them and thought I could cal an Uber and be back at Thayer's campus in half an hour but the skies opening up after the couple left and well, here I was. It was getting dark. Muted grays mingled with the cool blues of twilight and part of me was dying while worrying about the "he" wouldn't show up but Johnathan had never let me down. If any of his failed to pick me up like he asked they'd have no working legs tomorrow. Johnathan was a med student but he had zero compunction about using violence when the situation called for it. Especially when the situation involved me. The bright beam of headlights slashed through the rain. I squinted. My heart tripping in both anticipation and wariness as I weighed the odds of wether the car belonged to my ride or a potential psycho. This part of Thailand was pretty safe. But you'll never know. When my eyes adjusted to the light I slumped with relief. Only to stiffen again a second later. Good news? I recognized the sleek. Black Aston Martin pulling up towards me. It belonged to one of Johnathan's friends which meant I wouldn't end up a local news tonight.
Bad news? The person driving Aston Martin was the last person I expected or wanted to pick me up. He wasn't an 'ill do my buddy a favor and pick up his brother' kinda guy. He was the 'look at me wrong and I'll destroy you and everyone you care about' kinda guy. And he'd do it looking so calm and gorgeous that you wouldn't notice your world burning down around you until you were already a heap of ashes at his tom fort clad feet. I swiped the tip of my tongue over my dry lips as the car stopped in front of me and passenger window rolled down.
"Get in" he didn't raised his voice. He never did but yes I still Heard him loud and clear over the rain. Kinn theerapanyakul was a force of nature onto himself and I imagined even the weather bowed to him.
"I hope you're not waiting for me to open the door for you" he said when I didn't moved. He sounded as happy as I was about the situation. What a gentleman. I pressed my lips together and bit back a sarcastic reply as I roused myself from the bench and ducked into the car. It smelled cool and expensive. Like spicy cologne and fine Italian leather. "Thanks for picking me up, I appreciate it" I said in an attempt to break the icy silence. But I failed miserably. Kinn didn't respond kr even looked at me as he navigated the twists and curves of the slick roads leading back to campus. He drove the same way he walked, talked and breathed. Steady and uncontrolled. With an undercurrent of danger warning those foolish enough to contemplate crossing him that doing so would be their death sentence. He was the exact opposite of Johnathan and I still marveled the fact that they were best friends. Personally, I thought kinn was an asshole but as well I was sure that he had reasons. Some kind of psychological trauma which unshaped him into the emotionless robot he was today. Based on the snippets, I'd gleaned from Johnathan kinn's childhood had been even worse than ours. Though I'd never managed to pull the details out of my brother. All I knew was. Kinn's parents had dies when he was a child and left him a pile of money he'd quadrupled the value of when he came into his inheritance at age 17.not that he needed it because he invented a new financial modeling software in high school that made him multimillionaire before he could vote with an IQ of 180, kinn theerapanyakul was a genius or maybe more than that. He was the only person in Thayer's history to complete his years of business student in just 2 years. At he age of 24. he was the CEO of one of the most successful real estate companies in Thailand. He was a legend and he knew it. Meanwhile I thought I was doing good if I remembered to eat. And my side hustle as a photographer for anyone who would hire me. Graduations, engagements, birthday parties. I did them all. "Are you going to Johnathan's part?" I tried again to make a small talk. The silence was eating me alive. Kinn and Johnathan has been friends since many years. They would always roam together at the Thayer's. Kinn and I didn't talked alot unless it was because of Johnathan.
"Yes" he answered. Okay I guess small talk was out. My mind wandered through thousands of things I had to do at the weekends. OMG CRAP! I forgot to pick up Johnathan's fav cake that I ordered two weeks ago- because that was the max lead of something from cakes and bakes. It was Johnathan's favorite dessert.
A three layered chocolate frosted with fudge and filled with chocolate  pudding he only indulged on his birthday but since he was leaving for an year. I decided to break his once an year rule.
"So" I fidgeted my fingers nervously
"Don't kill me but- we have to make a detour to cakes and bakes"
"No we're already late" kinn stopped at the red light. I pouted a little before speaking again
"It's just a small detour aii kinn. I'll just take five minutes max. I just gotta run and pick the cake up! You know death by chocolate that he likes so much? He'll be in Canada for an year and they don't have C&B  down there and he leaves in two days so-"
" Stop" kinn's fingers curled around the steering wheel and my crazy hormonal mind latched onto how beautiful they were. That might sound crazy because who has beautiful fingers. But he did, physically. Everything about him was beautiful. Those brown eyes, the sharp jawline and elegant sculpted face. The lean frame and thick black hairs that somehow looked both tousled and perfectly coiffed. He resembled a statue in museum came to life. The insane urge to ruffle his hairs. Just so that he would stop looking so perfect. Which was quiet irritating to the rest of us. But I didn't had a death wish so I just kept my hands planted in my lap.
" If I take you to cakes and bakes will you stop talking?"
There was no doubt that he regret picking me up. A smile framed on my face "yes if you want"
His lips thinned "fine"
Yesss!!!!  Bible - 1 and Kinn - 0 !!
When we arrived at the bakery, I unbuckled my seatbelt and was halfway out the door when kinn grabbed my arm and pulled me back into my seat. Contrary to what I'd expected. His touch wasn't cold it was scorching, and it burned my skin and muscles until I felt it's warmth in the pit of my stomach. I swallowed hard.
"What? We're already late and they're closing soon"
"You can't go out like that" the tiniest hint of disapproval etched into the corner of his mouth. "Like what?" I asked confused. I wore jeans and a tshirt. Nothing revealing. Kinn inclined his head towards my chest. I glanced down and let out a horrible yelp. Because my shirt? It was white + it was wet. Like my chest area was visible if you look hard enough. This was full on see through. I crossed my arms over my chest. My face flaming a tint of red. "Was it like this the entire time?"
"Yes"
"You could've told me phii"
"I did told you. Just now"
I wanted to strangle him hard. I really did. And I wasn't even a violent person. Something about kinn provoked my dark side. I exhaled a sharp breath and dropped my arms by instinct. Forgetting about my see through shirt until kinn's gaze flicked down to my chest again. The flaming cheeks returned but I  had enough of sitting here and arguing with him. Cakes and bakes closed in ten minutes and the clock was ticking. Maybe it was the man. The weather. Or the hour and a half I spent stuck around a bus shelter. But my frustrations spilled out before I could stop it.
"Instead of being an asshole and staring at me. Can you lend me your jacket because I really want to get this cake and send my brother and your best friend. Off in style before he leaves the country"
My words hung in the air as I just realized what I said- did I just called a man older then me an asshole?
Oh lord! If you strike me with lightning right now I won't be mad I promise!
Kinn's eyes narrowed a faction in an inch. It ranked in the too five most emotional responses I'd pulled out of him in years. So that was something.
"Trust me I wasn't staring at you" be said, his voice Frigid enough to transform the lingering drops of moisture on my skin onto ice.
"You're not my type even if you weren't Johnathan's brother"
Ouch! I wasn't interested in kinn either. But no guy enjoys being dismissed so easily.
"Whatever there's no need to be a jerk about it" I muttered
"Look C&B closes in two minutes. Just let me borrow your jacket so we can get out of here" I already pre paid online. So all I needed was to grab the cake. A muscle ticked in this jaw.
" I'll get it. You're not leaving the car dressed like that, even while wearing my jacket"
C'mon bro I'm a boyyyyy
Kinn yanked an umbrella out from beneath his seat and exited the car in one fluid motion. He moved like a panther. All coiled grace and laser intensity. If he wanted. He could make a killing as a runway model. Though he would never do anything so  "gauche" he returned less then five minutes later with C&B signature black and mint green cake box tucked beneath one arm. He dumped it in my lap. His umbrella closed. And reversed out out of the parking spot without so much as blinking.
"Phii, do you ever smile?"
I asked, peeking inside the box to make sure they hadn't messed up the order. Nope, one death by chocolate. Coming right up.
"It might help with your condition" I spoke up " what condition?" Kinn sounded bored. "Emotionless one" I saw his mouth twitch before he responded with a bland "no, the condition is chronic"
My hands froze while my jaw unhinged.
"D-did you made a joke?!"
"Explain why you were out there in the first place" kinn evaded my question and Changed subjects so quick I had whiplash
He made a joke! I wouldn't have believed it if I had not seen it with my own eyes.
"I had a photoshoot with clients. There's a nice lake in-"
"Done five details, I dont care"
I pouted sadly before speaking once again. " Why are you here? Didn't figure you for the chauffeur type"
"I was in the area and you're Johnathan's brother. If you dies he'd be a bore to hangout with"
Kinn pulled up Infront of my house. Next door AKA Johnathan's house. The lights blazed. And I could see people dancing and laughing through the windows
"Johnathan has worst taste in friends"
I bit out. "Thank you for the ride"
I huffed out of the car. The rain had slowed down to a drizzle. And I smelled damp Earth and I smelled the hydrangeas clustered in a pot by the front door. I'd shower, change, the. Catch the last half of Johnathan's party. Hopefully, he wouldn't give me shit for being stranded or being late because I wasn't in the mood. I never stay angry for long. Thank god. If I had to see kinn more than a few times in year, I'd go crazy.