Tragedy Strikes

A twelve-year-old (Y/N) sat cross-legged in front of the television, absentmindedly flicking through the channels, searching for something to capture his interest. The screen flashed with various programs, but none seemed to grab his attention.

Lost in his aimless channel surfing, (Y/N) was startled by the sound of footsteps approaching. His father, Ryu, walked into the living room and noticed (Y/N) sitting close to the TV.

"You shouldn't sit so close to the TV," Ryu sternly advised. He moved closer, "It's not good for your eyes."

(Y/N) looked up at his father, momentarily taken aback by his unexpected presence. He sheepishly shifted back, creating a bit more distance between himself and the television. "Sorry, Dad," he replied, realizing he had been engrossed in his search for entertainment.

Ryu took a seat next to (Y/N), "Is there something specific you're looking for?" He inquired, his tone warm and inviting.

(Y/N) shrugged slightly, his gaze still fixed on the television screen. "I don't know, I just can't find anything interesting."

Ryu leaned back against the couch, contemplating his son's words. Understanding the need for connection and shared moments, he decided to offer a suggestion. Because he's not usually the one that's home, he's usually the one who's out on patrols.

"How about we find something to watch together, you know. A movie, or a show?" Ryu questioned.

(Y/N)'s curiosity sparked as he turned to face his father. A flicker of excitement crossed his face, he gets to spend quality time with his father. "Sure. Let's give it a try."

(Y/N) continued flicking through channels, too fast for his father to even register what had just been on the screen. It went on like that for a few more seconds until Ryu stopped it.

"Alright! That's enough," Ryu said before snatching the remote from (Y/N), "How are you supposed to know if you like something or not, if all you see is the pixels changing! I'll control the search now."

"Sorry," (Y/N) said in an over-exaggerated, jokey way.

Ryu started flicking through the channels, leaving it on for at least three seconds. The sound of the different channels contrasted one another, going from a quiet show, to a loud show then to a fast rap song to a slow country song.

"Seeee, I told you it's hard to-" (Y/N) was interrupted by the TV.

"Breaking news has just arrived from downtown Mustafu," the voice announced, accompanied by a familiar news jingle.

"What's hap--" (Y/N) began, only to be cut off once more, this time by his father.

"Shh," Ryu whispered, placing a hand in front of (Y/N)'s face.

"I guess I'm not allowed to talk then," (Y/N) muttered in frustration.

"The latest reports indicate a devastating battle involving a notorious villain, resulting in the loss of multiple heroes," the news anchor spoke rapidly, conveying the urgency of the situation.

Behind him, the screen displayed a harrowing scene of destruction and chaos. The once-thriving downtown area now lay in ruins, engulfed in billowing smoke. Emergency vehicles swarmed the area, and remnants of shattered buildings scattered the landscape. As the camera panned across the devastation, fallen heroes could be seen amidst the wreckage.

Desperate onlookers attempted to navigate the debris in search of their loved ones, only to be restrained by both heroes and law enforcement. The anguish and cries of the civilians, though silent, reverberated through the television screen.