CHAPTER TWELVE, you drew stars around my scars

"Welcome back to the women's volleyball NCAA tournament ladies and gentlemen. Right now two teams are taking the court right now, one seed Louisville facing off against one seed Minnesota."

I was so nervous. More nervous than I had been ever before in my almost twenty years of being on this earth. Everyone had told me, going into the tournament that the elite eight was by far the hardest game of the tournament but no one mentions how the nerves double for the final four.

Only four more teams in the whole tournament and I was lucky enough to be a part of it. There was no room for error now, we made it so far already and I'll be damned if I don't help my team to the championship game. It was win or go home, and none of us were planning on going home just yet.

"Taking the floor right now, the fan-appointed leader of this young Minnesota team, freshman Delilah Sinclair, number one in maroon. Sinclair has been said to be Minnesota's leader on and off the court and most believe she is in a very good running for player of the year which we will be finding out tomorrow."

Taking a deep breath, trying to calm my nerves as I stood just behind the service line to start off the game. I tried not to focus on the millions of people surrounding the court watching my every move made by centering my attention on the game in front of me.

I tuned out the other teams fans and focused on the cheers that I knew were coming from my family. The Bueckers had made their way to Omaha to watch the game and not just Drew and Mr Bueckers. Paige was sitting amongst a few of her teammates who had also come. Aliyah of course was there but also a few others that I saw earlier while warming up.

A girl around Paige's height with long brown hair was sitting next to my girlfriend who was also sitting next to Aliyah and her very lovely family.

I closed my eyes, finally locking into the game so I wasn't distracted by anything else around me anymore. Opening them finally, I started the game. I served to the back court like coach had told me to do when we had all left the huddle.

They received the pass and the setter set up the right side hitter. She got a pretty good look but I managed to track down a pretty hard dig and eventually after a long rally we won the point.

"And Delilah Sinclair again with the unbelievable dig leading to another point for Minnesota!"

"The balls hit off of the block! It's going to be a point for Louisville—BUT OH DELILAH SINCLAIR WITH THE UNBELIEVABLE SAVE!"

"Minnesota wins set three leading the Gophers to their first championship game since two-thousand and four; and they owe it all to that unbelievably humble and clutch freshman who is now on with Hollie Roe."

Holly smiled reassuringly at me as I finished setting on my head gear for the interview. I was trying to be as polite as possible but really the only thing I wanted to do right now is to see Drew and his dad, and Paige I guess. Mainly Drew.

"Well congratulations are in order, Miss Delilah! You're going to the championship game, how does it feel?" I took a deep breath before responding, still a bit out of breath from the amount of times my body had hit the floor today.

"It feels amazing Holly, I mean besides all of the bruises I'm going to wake up with tomorrow. I owe it all to this team. Without them we wouldn't be here and I wouldn't be here so all of the credit should go to them." That was the standard answer that coach had taught me and everyone else in the first week of practice. But it was true today, not only did I have a good night but it seems that we were just unstoppable on not only defense but offense as well.

"That's amazing to hear Delilah. Thank you." I sent her a small, very tired, smile before finally retreating back to the locker room to celebrate with my team like I had wanted to do ever since the game had ended.