Chapter 14

"You will never know what happened yesterday." Rid said upon entering the stables.

Lach looked up under sweaty brows, a shovel in hand. "You found a noble lady willing to fall for one of your shitty lines?"

Rid smirked. "Well, it wasn't what I was going to say, but you are absolutely correct." He strutted towards the pile of hay Lach was bundling up neatly on a corner. He sprawled down, the brittleness cracking under his weight and his sandy-blonde hair vanishing against the dried yellowish plant. Lach sent him a glare that was willingly ignored as he slipped one rod between his mouth, muffling his speech. "I did indeed meet a wonderful woman." Lach raised a brow. "She wore a diamond necklace thicker than her own neck." Of course. That was all Rid was really interested in.

"What about the color of her eyes or her gown?" Lach asked in a challenge.

Rid drew blank for a moment, and Lach rolled his eyes. "She was...interesting to look at."

"You do not even remember her face."

Rid huffed. "Of course I do. She had fiery red hair, an ample bosom, and a very... wrinkly skin." Lach let out a sound between a scoff and a laugh. "Sure, she could be my mother, but it doesn't matter to me." Lach rolled his eyes. "Still, she was beautiful for a woman of her age. Perhaps you saw her?"

"Absolutely did not," Lach mumbled as the shovel creaked under the dry grass, creating another bundle far away from Rid and his sprawling habit.

Rid propelled himself on one arm. "Oh, correct. You were too busy being kicked out for that." The lack of humor in Rid's tone made Lach spin around. Forest green eyes met dark bemused ones, void of his usual jest.

"I don't think getting into a fight with a Lord is the best way to be noticed around here." The sandy-blond pushed himself back on his feet with a grunt while Lach stayed stoic in shame.

The hay traveled by Lach's feet as the wind blew his whistle, slowly destroying his new bundle. His act the eve wasn't smart. He was aware of that, but the sole thought of Lord Harrington's face tore any senses away from him. "It doesn't matter." He threw before trying to gather back the escaping twigs of hay, but the wind was too strong.

"It does matter!" Rid was in front of Lach in a sudden shift, gripping his shoulders. "Don't fuck everything up because of some thirst for revenge."

Lach's eyebrows met in a deep frown. Rid wouldn't dare going dare. Right? Still, he needed to ask, "What are you talking about?"

Rid's face settled into tight lines. "Your father."

The air stilled; even the wind could sense what was coming as Lach's dark irises trembled. "Do not talk about my father. You know nothing." Nobody knew, and nobody would know.

Rid lifted his hands off of him. "I am sorry. I didn't mean to upset you."

A gush of wind blew the dark strands away, and Lach's eyes softened. He shook his head. Rid had nothing to do with what happened. He was merely a witness of Lach spiraling into maddening chaos. He wouldn't come out intact if he let himself slide down that pit for too long. "Forget it."

The tension was still palpable as Rid's hands moved hesitantly, and the guilt reached Lach. They had known each other for too long to behave like this around each other. Lach forced lightness in his voice though his spirit was still heavy. "So what else happened when I was kicked out?"

Rid's lips tugged upward, cheerfulness back in his features. "You won't believe this one." Hearing about Rid's shenanigans was always a welcome distraction. "The Princess disappeared." Lach's face fall. He hadn't expected this. Green eyes widened. "You don't even know how much ruckus it caused."