Chapter 44

Achilles neighed as Lach grabbed its reign and galloped into the middle of the night, cloak trailing behind him. The Favor. It couldn't be. It couldn't be her, but he was sure now. It made sense. It all made so much sense. He left without a word to his mother. He hadn't time to explain. He needed to find Amaya before the day of Solstice ended. The day of the Prophecy.

The first light of the day painted the sky in a dull blue light when Lach arrived in front of the cave. The two barbarians guarding the entrance jumped from their slumped position, their weapons unsheathed.

"Bett!" Lach hopped from Achilles, not taking the time to tie him to a tree. "Bett!" The two barbarians stopped him from entering.

The hunter stepped outside the cave, their messy eyebrows rose to their hairline. "Horseman? What are you doing here?" Bett nodded at the men to let Lach approach.

"We have to find Amaya," he said breath ragged.

Bett frowned. "You know she left for Mias. Why would you-."

"Amaya is the Favor!" Lach blurted out.

Bett's eyes jolted wide open. "What? What are you talking about?"

"Amaya is the Favor. We never lost it. It was there all the time. It's her." The last word dragged with so much meaning.

"How?"

Lach shook his head. "I don't know. She is not a witch, Bett. She is the Favor! All this time. It was so obvious." Lach thought about the flowers he had seen after she had used her power. The odd lilies standing like hope in the middle of heartless winter.

She was hope all this time. Lach swallowed with difficulty. The ball inside his throat still stony, undefeated with guilt.

Bett's features stretchered with fear. "Does that mean..."

"If the Prophecy says truth. She will die today."

**

Night had fallen over the vastness of the ocean. Ezri looked ahead, features tight.

"Prince Ezri, we are close to Mias," one of the crew member announced and the air suddenly inflated the Prince's lungs.

"Thanks, Captain."

"My Prince, your dinner is ready," Another said as he bowed.

"Thank you." Ezri paused before he asked. "Did the Princess of Ornuv eat?"

The man shifted uncomfortably on his footing. "We have tried several time to give her her dinner but her door stayed locked. Same for her lunch," he added with a smaller voice.

Ezri's eyebrows tightened. "She didn't leave her room the whole day?"

"No. My Prince." The man confirmed, and Ezri strode towards Amaya's quarters. He knocked on her door. Once, twice, thrice, leaving a slight pause every time for a reaction, but nothing.

"Princess?" Perhaps if she knew it was him, she would open it but again silence. "This is Prince Ezri. I know you don't want to talk to me, but I am still deeply regretful for what happened." He flattened his palm against the polished wood. "You do not have to forgive me, but please do not suffer because of me. Please eat your dinner." He waited. Silence. There was something fishy about all this.

"Prince Ezri!" A soldier in red approached, fear wide in his eyes. "A boat is missing."

Ezri froze. "What do you mean?"

"One boat has been released during the journey. The ropes must not have been secured enough, unless..."

Ezri's chest drummed. He banged on the door, his voice taking on a desperate edge. "Amaya? Are you here? Answer me." Panic flew through his features. "Break this door!"