Chapter 38

The moon hung full over the somber sea, its light flickering against the soft waves like a mirror. The harbor was quiet like an abandoned city and empty only for the boats standing like looming shadows, the few passers-by, and the hurrying men and women unloading barrels and boxes from carriages. Kristina grunted as she and Creinge placed down a barrel before the gangway. "We should have left tomorrow. Navigating at night is a death wish through the dark sea." Creinge said.

Kristina dusted her palms and replaced her hat. "Soldiers would swarm the harbor tomorrow, and you know that. We don't need them to hinder us more." Creinge grunted before two other sailors hoisted the barrel and struggled through the gangway. Kristina scrutinized the faces around before she sighed. "Where are they?"

"Who? Your ex-lover and the girl?" Creinge leaped on the carriage, rolling another barrel.

Kristina wrinkled her nose as if she smelled rotten fish as she stopped the rolling barrel. "Don't call him that. Ever again."

Creinge landed next to her before she looked past Kristina. "They are here."

Two cloaked silhouettes grew in the dark, misty harbor. Kristina placed her hand on her hip when their features became visible. "Took you long enough to say goodbye to those beasts." Lach passed next to her without saying a word, his face sour. Kristina followed him with a tight frown. She stopped Amaya. "What happened?"

Amaya opened her mouth and then closed it. Finally, she asked, "Did you know what happened to his father?"

Kristina raised a brow, not expecting that question. "I do. That's why I am quite surprised he still helping you."

Amaya looked down. "I want to help him."

"Then get those hands working." Kristina placed a full potato sack on Amaya, who struggled to keep it in her arms when she looked up, an awe taint in her eyes.

"Is that-"

Kristina followed her gaze. "The Gypsie? Yes, it is. My wonderful sea beast," she said, proud swelling in her chest. The Gypsie stood like a painting against the background of the sea, like those Amaya would see hanging in the castle.

It had a shallow draft and a vast open deck. It was carved from oak in its keel and sternpost, and the ribs and planking were sculpted from pine. Though the beast was old. Its coloring deteriorated, especially when wood met water; it still stood tough and sturdy, its white mast and large square sail blowing grand and proud with the harsh nocturnal wind. Amaya's curls tickled on her face. "It might be a little old, but it never failed me."

"I see," Amaya trailed off, still in awe.

A smirk formed on Kristina's lips. "First time on a ship?"

"Is that so obvious?" Amaya pushed her curls away from her face, embarrassment blazing through her features. "Still, I have read a lot about them. This is a cog, right?"

Kristina was impressed. "It is. But you will see, the real thing is better than whatever you read." Her smile glinted with gold before her eyes were lured by two of her shipmates carrying rectangular boxes as they stumbled and almost let go of it. "Hey! Be careful with that! These are bottles," she half-yelled. The shipmates nodded hastily as they brought the heavy load inside the ship. "Let's get going, guys. We don't have all night." She clapped her hands.

Amaya replaced the bag on her when a glint of silver entered her periphery. She looked to the side and froze. Steel armor glowed into the night. The bag found the ground. Kristina was about to say something when she saw them, too. "Fuck." Kristina hissed. "We have a problem." Lach looked and froze.

They were three soldiers. A brunette, a blond, and one with hair like the red foxes. They approached with definite and heavy strides. The boxes were still loaded inside the ship. "Halt!" One of them yelled. "What are you doing?" His voice carried to the far end of the ship.