Chapter 43

Her vision was a blur.

She had no idea where she was going, but she kept her pace, her legs fueled by the surge to get away from that pain, that news, but it kept gripping her despite her strides. The pain invaded her, taking possession of her.

Ezri tried to follow her, but she pushed her hands away from him. They were suffocating, and she couldn't breathe. She clutched her chest. Her whole world had collapsed, and her only hope was gone.

Her Father.

Their last interaction flashed through her mind, and her tears burned hot. She had shown him so much resentment. Her legs wobbled, ready to let go.

They had never seen eye to eye. But she had seen how miserable he had become since her mother died. Deep down, she had always blamed him for that, and it showed in every bitter word she threw at him.

The sob she let out came from her guts, howling.

But she never hated him. She knew her father was flawed, but she never wanted him to die.

She collapsed against a tree, her knees finally giving up like her will. She let herself slide to the ground, the bark of the trees tearing her skin as she freed the flow of sobs. Her shoulders tremored as she murmured, "I am sorry. I am so sorry."

She had failed in every way, but she had failed him too. The shadow of the tree branches danced on her. She always believed that, in the end, she would make her father proud. She only wanted him to see how capable she was, but- She closed her eyes tight. She had been the worst daughter. Her stubbornness prevented her from seeing the whole picture; now he was gone. A brat, blind to the surroundings and people around her. Blind to her own privilege. She sniffled, looking down at the grass. Useless.

She enrolled her arms around her knees, embracing her form. Her pendant never laid as cold on her chest.

Glimpses from the sun hit her wet eyes, and she looked up through the dancing branches.

**

Lach had left the camp, too, unable to bear the people's eyes on him. Hurting her was the last thing he had wanted. His fists bawled. He had just tried to protect her. He swore it, but why did his heart feel so heavy with the burden? His teeth clenched. Because he was a coward.

Kristina was right. All he could do was flee away. Amaya's pained face flashed through him, and he grabbed his hair, almost tearing it. He kept hurting the people around him. Sorrow and disappointment trailed behind on all the roads he took.

He strode, his steps fueled by rage. They led him before a lake. He paused and screamed his heart out. The veins of his neck popped as his face drew red. He should throw himself into the lake and suffocate with his own incompetence. His voice strained as it faltered, and tears traced his flushed cheeks. He plopped down on the ground just before the water, head falling.

Steps rose, but he hadn't had the strength to look up to see who it was, so he just said. "Leave me."

Short, sturdy legs appeared in front of him. "What a pathetic view..." A deep sigh.

"Bett. Go." His broken voice was still booming with rage.

A snort. "I am not going anywhere. You get up and go talk to Amaya before she leaves with fucking Prince Charming." They pointed a finger behind him. Lach's eyes tightened, but he stayed silent. It was too late. "You fucked up, horseman."

Lach passed a frustrating hand through his strands, messing it even more. "What do you want from me? To say that I am sorry? I am fucking sorry! I am devasted. Can't you see? Don't they teach you how to see human emotion in your fucking cave?" His voice rippled the lake.