Chapter 15

A tight frown was drawn on the little boy's face. His wood stick traced a mindless line on the ground.

"What's wrong?" the little girl's voice bloomed behind him, a panoply of flowers waiting to be woven into a crown awaited on her delicate yellow dress. "Don't you want to play knight?"

The little boy shook his head, his pout more apparent. "My father said he has to leave."

"Where?"

A shrug. "I don't know. Overseas for work."

"So he will come back." The flowy and graceful dress folded next to him as the girl smiled, but he didn't return it. She didn't let it deter her as she extended her flower crown to him, but the boy shook his head away. The crown fell back on her lap.

The boy threw off his wood stick, lacing his arms around his knees, and buried his head into them. "But when he goes away, it's for days!"

The little girl arranged her coily hair away from her face. "When Father travels outside the country. He always comes back," she said reassuringly, her smile still bright and endearing. "He will come back because you are his son." Lach peeked away from his knees, eyes misty.

He sniffed. "Are you sure?"

She nodded excitingly before jolting onto her feet and retrieving the wood stick. "Sure. He will. Now, let's play knight before-" A loud, gripping sound thundered into the garden, akin to a whale in pain.

Panic infused the little girl's round gaze.

"What's going on?" Lach asked.

"Father is there. I have to go." She dusted her dress before staring far away. The boy followed her gaze. The silver gates opened in a loud creaking noise as an all-gold platted carriage rolled in.

She brushed past him as she raced through the grass, her skirt floating like waves around her.

"Wait!" the boy circled his palms around his mouth. "You still didn't tell me your name!"

She stopped in her track, a blooming yellow flower on the vibrant grass. "I will let you know next time," she yelled before running again.

"I am Lach!" he screamed, but her figure was already fading.

The boy's cheeks were scarlet as he picked up the abandoned flower crown, already picturing the bright smile awaiting his next visit.

However, the time they would see each other again died like the last summer Ornuv had ever experienced.

It was the last time he saw her.

**

Large windows lined up the courtroom allowing pools of dull daylight to illuminate the stony interior. Still, the air was heavy and constricting when the Princess stepped inside, stifling with the stares of the council members lining up before the King's throne. She met Zakrus's stark gaze before looking away.

But those that pierced through were identical to hers.

"Amaya," the grave voice of the King resonated, staring down from the throne.

A courtesy. "Father."

"I believe you know why I summoned you this morning." Amaya's stomach gripped with dread. Still, she kept her chin up. "Your ceremony brought guests friends from all over the continent. Those who agreed to the peace treaty despite our position. Still, you deigned to disrespect their presence by leaving in the middle of it." His voice teetered with a wave of booming anger that left Amaya's stomach tight. "This is not the behavior of a future Queen." The slap was as hard as the harsh wind.