Chapter 25

The troop of soldiers had been spotted near Lach's village. Words had already spread in hushes and whispers across the market until they reached Yehime's ears. Some villagers had been interrogated, and houses had been barged into.

Lach didn't need more to spur onto his feet and gather his belongings. Amaya followed suit. Bags were filled with whatever Yehime could bring to spare for their journey, however long and tedious it could be.

"Where are you heading to?" Yehime asked, watching Lach stuff things into a bag. Lach paused, raising his eyes to Amaya. He actually had no idea where to start searching if there was a search to do in the first place.

Amaya retrieved the torn book page and flattened it on the table. The man stood before the sun, raising a sword in its direction. Lach hovered over her, deciphering the lines under him. Still, besides that gibberish of words that was supposed to be a prophecy, nothing indicated any land or place to find the Favor.

Amaya's eyebrows knitted together, the prophecy dancing on her lips in a murmur repeatedly before she stopped, her eyes illuminating with a gasp. "The Sun God gave the holy knight the Favor in Keso. That's what we learned, right? It was the blessed land, but now it is-

"The island of the flying soldiers," Lach finished. "Those who fled the war." They were cowards, insults to the country, and the center of all the ridicule. Lach still heard the echo of Rid's laugh when talking about them.

Finding back the Favor in Keso wasn't unbelievable, but going there was another story.

"But it's beyond the borders," Yehime added, her hand close to her mouth. "Beyond the Dark Sea."

"The borders are open now since my birthday ceremony," Amaya said.

"We still need a boat to go beyond that sea, but most seamen wouldn't go there." Lach crossed his arms.

"We should find someone at the port," Amaya stated matter-of-factly

and Lach almost wished he had that bold certainty every time he needed to make a decision. "This is not that simple. Not many seamen are willing to go through the Dark Sea. It is... perilous." Amaya frowned, a question written on her features.

"The tales of the Dark Sea are as rich as Ornuv was before." Yehime started. "Many stories of men disappearing and leaving their wives in shamble were recited. Especially as a moral story of not leaving one wife behind." Yehime explained with a stifled snort.

Amaya's eyes shone resolutely. "We can't give up."

"Captain Marsh."Yehime's voice rose from across the table, and they both stared at her. The stableman shook his head quickly, but Yehime ignored him. "He was once a good friend of your father. They used to trade together. I am sure he would be willing to bring you there."

Lach squared his shoulders. "I am not sure it is a good idea."

"This is a wonderful idea." Amaya's eyes fluttered with new hope. "Where can we find him?"

"He used to hang out in the taverns near the port." Yehime then looked at Lach. "You can ask him. I am sure he would do that for us." Lach stayed stoic and Yehime gave him a knowing gaze. "Ask around there, and you will find him."

"Great!" Amaya expressed with an animated tone before she turned to the dull gaze of Lach. "Unless you have another idea..." But the young man's head was empty with none, and at that moment, he wished he would be as quick-witted as the girl.

He sighed heavily, throwing the bag over his shoulder. "We have to go." He secured his father's sword inside its scabbard and hooked it on his belt.

Amaya covered herself with her cloak before safely pulling the torn page inside.