Chapter 27

"Two nights ago, we were attacked," Lord Virwan's voice stiffened the council room. "The King was found dead, and his quarters have been overturned." His crooked nose and half-melting face would look almost normal compared to the twisted features of the other lords around the table. "Few of our members are victims. Including Lord Castello." Sinister dipped the atmosphere like the first drop of an upcoming rageful storm. "Fortunately, all the intruders left before dawn."

"I am sure it was one of those guest countries. Ezran has been teetering over to war for years." One of the Lord chimed in, his bald head shining under the chandelier's light. "And the Prince of Ezran seemed angry not winning the Princess's heart. They had been the fervent one in the war ten years ago."

Another grunted. "I don't believe so. It might have been mercenaries. Those who had seen them said they were covered in black like doom itself, and their eyes glowed like demons." Lord Virwan's globulus eyes shone in surprise.

Wrinkly yellowish palms pressed together in a prayer. The High Priest's tongue ran into prayer.

"You are right, Lord Abby. I saw them. It is true," A Lord with a face as pointy as fox claimed.

"They must be barbarians then! Those scums have been plotting revenge since the King chased them away." Lord Abby stabbed a fist on the table.

"We have no proof of that yet." Lord Virwan explained carefully. "Sill the King's death remained, and we have to announce-"

"The Sun God is watching." Wrinkly yellowish palms pressed harder. "The Peace Treaty has been breached. Chaos will ensue." The words suffocated the High Priest's throat as if possessed. "Solstice is only but a few days away. A few days away from doom."

"High Priest. What should we do?" Lord Virwan asked.

The Priest's body stayed of marble as he said, "We can pray. Lord Virwan. We can pray."

Silence stretched painfully. "Announcing the death of the King before Solstice will bring unrest." All the eyes turned to the table's end. His burned scar sat tight across his left eye as his voice exposed his presence for the first time since the beginning of the meeting.

Lord Abby frowned. "We cannot hide it, Commander. We do not have a King! Nor a Queen!"

"Commander Zakrus is the reason why this castle is still standing today." Lord Virwan sliced the upcoming argument before it even took form. "He chased away the Barbarians and protected the castle with bravery." Lord Abby swallowed his tongue back, but his frown remained vivid as fire.

"I have only done the duty of my country...and my King," Zakrus lowered his head solemnly.

"So what are we going to do?" Abby threw like a hook.

Zakrus flashed his eyes to him, but he was a bigger catch. "We find the Princess."

"No announcement will be made before we know her whereabouts." Lord Virwan's eyes bounced between the two.

"And what if we don't find her?" Lord Abby's ring-squeezed fingers pressed against the table. "What if she is dead too?" His words stirred uneasy breaths from the Lords.

"She was last seen fleeing out of the gates." Zakrus paused before adding. "With a man." Gasps surged across the stable.

"Who?" The bald Lord whistled like a kettle, but the surprise was grand on all faces. Even the High Priest lowered his hands.

"We have to find out." Zakrus straightened his back. "Soldiers are already searching nearby villages."

"What if...she is part of that?" The bald Lord went on, his words inflated with implications.