Chapter 29

Bett had thrown a fist, sputtering every reason why following those two vagabonds was the worst idea possible. Lach was heartily agreeing with the barbarian. It was perhaps the only thing they would agree to.

"They are lunatic. They can't come with us!" Lach had whispered to Amaya, but Bett's hearing was acute, as should a hunter. The iciest glare pierced through him.

"They can help us," Amaya argued. "They know more about the forest and what is inside than we do. Solstice is soon, and soldiers are getting closer. We need them to arrive at the city port as soon as we can." Lach frowned.

Bett's jaw clenched, leaving their voice a stifled roughness. "Igor. I won't follow those two delusional fools."

Igor posed his forest eyes on Bett, calm and poised. "This is your chance, Bett, to prove yourself worthy among our brothers. To prove yourself worthy to me." Bett raised their eyebrows. "If you help them find the Favor, you will restore honor to our clan." His palm englobed their shoulder. "I know you can do it."

Bett's mouth pressed together.

They left at dawn, when the grey sky expanded his greeting, and the black night slowly made his goodbye. On the back of their two horses and new supplies filling their bags- knives, but also cheese, bread, and dried fruits. When Amaya asked Igor where he got those, he stayed silent. And she knew to not ask again.

A boiling kettle of tension joined them on their journey, too, hissing and screaming every time the water turned scorched inside them.

"Where are you going?" Bett asked her icy glare following Lach's steps.

"The city port," he said, not even sparing them a glance. It was better for him this way, for their face made him want to dig them into a hole.

The snow cracked behind him. "This not the way."

Lach kept his jaw tight as he offered a smile close to a grimace. "You said it was to the west. So I am going to the west."

"And I also told you there is a river to the west that we can't cross."

Lach's eyes twitched, but his voice remained pleasant. "And as I told you, we can't afford to make a detour."

Bett stomped towards him, their steps festering an unconcealed annoyance as they cracked the carpet of frozen crystalline water. "I know this forest better than you do. If I say, we avoid this river. Then we avoid it." Amaya's eyes bounced between them, and Aurora stomped her feet.

Lach held their stare, keeping his fidgetiness under clenched fists. "We don't have time for a detour." His voice kept steady despite the twitching of his lips.

"This is not what we planned," Bett exclaimed, their teeth gritting together. "Igor said-"

Red flashed through Lach's eyes. "Igor is not there!" He spat his frustration at their feet, and Bett's eyes narrowed into a dangerous slit.

"You-" Bett growled, stomping forward.

"You what?" And Lach stepped closer, their noses almost bumping together as they gritted their teeth.

"Enough." Amaya pressed her palms on each torso, pushing them away, but Lach and Bett wouldn't leave each other's sight. "We do not have time for quarrels." Lach finally looked at her. "This is... "Her voice faltered in a sigh before she walked away. Lach was on her steps promptly but not without sending a last thundering glare at Bett.

"Hey! I am not done with you, horseman!" Bett growled.

"I am not done either!" Lach spat back, pointing a finger like a spear.