ONE

Grace's heart skipped a beat as she heard her name being called out

Grace's heart skipped a beat as she heard her name being called out. Next to her stood two other women, more winners weren't alive anymore. 

She hoped so much it wouldn't be her. 

The loud voices from the crowd around her faded out as Ruby, the woman who called her name, led her to the middle of the stage. Not again. She was again in the Hunger Games. 

The 75th Hunger Games.

~~~

"The Capitol has spared no expense. A new training center, new tribute living quarters and, of course, a very special arena. But this year you'll be facing other victors. Capitol favorites. Smart, cunning, skilled."

Peeta and Katniss sat together, listening to Haymitch. 

"I want you guys to forget everything you think you know about the games. Last year was a child's play. This year, you're dealing with all experienced killers.", he said.

"All right. What does that mean for us?" The blonde asked.

"That means you're gonna have to have some allies." Katniss placed her fork down. 

"Okay. I think that if.." Haymitch cut Peeta off. 

"Whoop. You're not the problem." He pointed at Katniss. 

"No." 

"Look, you're starting at a disadvantage . Most of these people have been friends for years."

"That just puts us higher on their kill list." she brought in. 

"Do it your own way, but I know these people. You go in alone, their first move is gonna be to hunt you down. Both of you." He turned to the woman again. "Katniss, come on." 

She seemed to think for a moment before she finally spoke. "How could any of us even trust each other?" 

"It's not about trust. It's about staying alive."

~~~

"Cashmere and Gloss." 

Haymitch said, showing them on the screen. "Brother and sister. District one. They won back-to-back Games. Capitol favorites. Lots of sponsors. They will be lethal." 

Katniss and Peeta sat on the couch. He changed the video. 

"And the other half of the Career Pack, Brutus and Enobaria."

"What's with her teeth?" 

"She had them filed into fangs so she could rip people's throats out." 

Peeta let out a snicker. "She's committed. I'll give her that." 

The video changed once again. "Wiress and Beetee. Not fighters, but brilliant. And weird. Real tech-savvy. He won his games by electrocuting six tributes at once." 

Next scene. "The morphing Masters of camouflage. Basically, won their games by hiding until everyone else was dead. Self-medicating ever since. Which I applaud. Not a threat." 

The video changed to District 4. "Finnick Odair, right?"
"Yes. He won his games at 14. Youngest man ever. Extremely humble." 

"You're kidding." 

"Yes I'm kidding. He's a peacock. A total preener. But he's the Capitol darling. They love him here. Charming, smart, and very skilled at combat. Especially in water."

"What about weaknesses?" 

"One. Mags." 

The screen showed an older woman volunteering for another. "She volunteered for Annie. Mags was his mentor and basically raised him. If he's trying to protect her in any way, it exposes him."

"A guy like that has to know she's not gonna make it. I bet when it really comes down to it, he won't protect her." 

"Well, Katniss. I just hope when she goes, she goes quickly. She's actually a wonderful lady." 

The video changed to District five. "Grace Lee, Won the 66th Hunger Games, also with 14, youngest woman ever." 

"How did she win?", Katniss asked. "In close combat. A master with knives, no matter in range or close combat. She killed 7 people with a single, small knife. The girl's pretty skilled and smart. If she wants to team up with you, agree. She could probably become your best ally."