FOUR

Grace watched Sora getting punched over and over again, but decided to blend it out and concentrate on staying alive

The tube moved up and she was faced with a bright light. Next to her wasn't Nicolai, it was Mags. They got mixed up, that meant Nicolai was on the other side and she couldn't see him. Good, she didn't plan on teaming up with him anyway. Finnick was now her ally, that meant Mags too. She made it herself as task to watch out for her. 

Grace jumped into the water, swimming like there was no other reason for her to live. She had always loved water. Swimming was one of the things she loved the most in her childhood.

Her eyes caught a west with knives laying in the middle of the isle. Once she reached the stones, she used all of her strength and climbed up. She ran to it, quickly grabbed one of the knives and turned around, stabbing the boy who just tried to choke her from behind. 

Grace searched for Mags, who was on the way to the middle. She ran to the older woman and said, "We'll search Finnick. Then we run." Mags nodded and ran after her. The blonde looked out that they were safe, especially Mags. They saw Peeta and someone other fighting in the water. "Go get Finnick, I'll help Peeta." 

Grace jumped into the water and swam to both men, joining the fight. Finnick and Katniss approached Mags, who was pointing at the three figures in the water. They watched as all three fought, sunk down and then there were only some bubbles left. 

A cannon got off. 

A body reached the surface. 

Dead. 

Their eyes widened, but suddenly the woman reached the surface with Peeta in her arms. 

She carried him to the beach, the others ran to them and were impressed by Grace saving Peeta. He was awake already as soon they reached the sand 

"Thank," he coughed, "you." Slowly Grace stood up and looked around. She still held the knife she just stabbed the tribute with in her hands. A bit of the blood was washed off already, but there were still some stains. On the other side of the beach were the careers. 

"We need to go. We are open food here." 

They all agreed. Finnick took Mags on his back and Katniss helped Peeta to get up. He walked ahead, after him Katniss, after her Grace and the last was Finnick with Mags.

"Are you okay?" Finnick asked after a while over her shoulder, causing Grace to turn around while she continued walking to face him. "I'm good, don't worry." Then she turned around again.

~~~

They ran a while, none of them knew how long, until Finnick called, "Okay, hold up. Hold up."

Everyone stopped. He placed Mags down. "Okay, here you go." 

Everyone knelt down onto the ground. Grace was sweating already, so were the others. She hated sweat. The suit clung to her body and the sweat dripped down her face. She wiped it away with disgust and tied her blond hair back. 

"God, it's hot. We gotta find fresh water.", Peeta said. 

The cannon fired three times. Grace didn't flinch at the sound, it was too familiar. 

"Well, I guess we're not holding hands anymore." Finnick chuckled. Katniss looked at him seriously. "You think that's funny?" 

"Every time that cannon goes off, it's music to my ears. I don't care about any of them." 

She pulled out her sword and directed it at him. "Good to hear." 

Grace quickly took out one of her knives and held it behind her back, ready to stab Katniss if she needed to. She couldn't risk Finnick for something so dumb. 

"Want to face the Career Pack alone? What would Haymitch say?" 

"Haymitch isn't here." 

Peeta slowly stood up. "Let's keep moving." 

The others stood up too and continued their way through the forest. Peeta went ahead, cutting the tendrils with his sword. Suddenly Katniss stopped, making Grace stop too. She directly realized what was wrong, but Katniss realized too late. "Peeta, no!" 

He got thrown back directly into the other four, causing them to fall down. 

"Peeta?" Katniss rushed to him. "Peeta? He's not breathing. He's not breathing. He's not breathing! Peeta!" 

Grace stood next to Mags, who looked at them both with horror. Finnick pushed Katniss to the side and she immediately pointed her weapon at him, but realized what he wanted to do.

"Peeta?" 

"Come on! Come on!" 

"Please, wake up." 

She started sobbing while Finnick continued trying to save Peeta. 

Mags looked up to Grace and took her hand. She raised her eyebrows at the movement, but didn't brush her hand off. She found comfort in it. 

"He's not dead. He wont die this fast." Grace spoke in sign language with her other hand. 

Mags was surprised to her knowing it. "You're right." She knew that Mags was mute. 

"Come on, Peeta!" Grace looked down at him and was relieved somehow. 

"Peeta. Peeta. Peeta." 

Why did she save him at all? 

He was breathing again. "Peeta? Peeta." 

Grace sighed. Maybe you would think now, why is she relieved if Peeta's dead? Well, this is how you have to think in this world. In that way, another possible enemy would have been dead. There was only one winner here.

Katniss bent over him and smiled wide. "Oh, my God." 

"Be careful, there's a force field up there." She chuckled. 

Grace meanwhile realized she was actually relieved to see him alive again. She watched both of them kiss. "You were dead." Both of them stood up and hugged each other tight.

They had something to continue living for, Grace didn't. 

The younger woman helped Mags up and she placed her hand on Grace's shoulder for balance. Finnick smiled watched them both interacting, and he couldn't resist the little butterflies flying around in his stomach.