TWO

Grace could hear the crowd cheering in the distance

Grace could hear the crowd cheering in the distance. She looked around, admiring the familiar carriages. In all this war and the monarchy had somehow a beautiful part in it. Her feet took her to the fifth one and she let her hand wander across the back of the horse.  

"Grace."

The sound of her name being called out caused her to turn to the man behind her, who was no one other than Finnick Odair himself.

"Hello, Finnick." 

She responded, letting her eyes wander over his outfit. "Why are your pants so high up?"

He looked down at himself, then up into her bright green ones again. "You could just have said that I look like a dwarf." 

His words brought the brunette to smile for a second, before it vanished again. 

~~~

As soon as the carriage stopped, Grace jumped down and headed to the elevator. Just before she could close it, a hand stopped the doors and a too familiar blonde man stepped in, a smile creeping up his face. 

"Hello." 

"Finnick." 

He walked over to the wall, leaned his head back by the glass and sighed. She looked down and fiddled with her fingers. 

"You look good in your dress." 

"Oh, Thank you." 

Finnick thought of Grace as a smart and somehow interesting woman. 

"I...", she stopped unsure, "I like your hair." 

He wanted to know her. Be her ally. Be her friend. 

"Thank you, honey." 

The doors opened and Grace stepped out with blush all over her face, only hearing a bit of the 'see you', that Finnick called after her.

~~~

Nicolai and Grace walked inside the training center, some turning to them. 

"Remember, Grace, today's about making allies." 

"I'm not dumb, Nicolai." 

Nicolai and she hadn't each other long. They were in the same school and exchanged looks sometimes on the streets, nothing more.

She parted from him and walked past Johanna, the Careers and District 3. Her hands reached for the knives and she inspected them, getting back to the feeling of having it in her hands. 

"Are you in the mood to show me what you're able to do?" Her head turned to Finnick, who held a trident in his hands. 

"I'll say I win against you with two small knives." A smile formed on his face, this was exactly what he wanted, and Grace knew. 

Both of them stepped onto the fighting platform. 

3,

2,

1.

Finnick was the first to attack, trying to stab her. 

She ducked and tried stabbing him from behind, but he turned around quickly, causing her to duck to the side. The woman jumped on his back, holding the knife on his throat, but he threw her off and directed his weapon at her. She quickly rolled to the side and slid down under his legs, making him fall on his back and she jumping onto him, directing the knife at his heart. Finnick pointed the trident at the same time at her back. 

If this would've been a real fight, both would have died. 

"Tie. Good match." Grace climbed down from him, realizing what position she was in and helped him up, eyes landing on the people that were watching her. Mags and Wiress were the only ones clapping, but the others had sort of impressed faces. Maybe it was even fear or scold, she couldn't tell.

~~~

"Good news. At least half the Tributes want you as an ally. But we already expected that.", Ruby said, walking in on Grace and Nicolai sitting on the couch. 

"Us both?" Nicolai asked, jumping up with wide eyes.

"No, not you Nicolai, just Grace."

Grace held back her snicker and turned to Ruby again.

"Well, dear, you got your pick of the litter." 

She thought for short, going trough who she could trust. 

"I want Katniss and Peeta." 

"Well, okay, good. Now, who else?" 

"Finnick. Johanna."

"Excellent choice."