SIX

A rhythmically sounding alarm woke Grace up from her not relieving sleep

Finnick and Katniss were wide awake, not daring to sleep in the others watch. The others woke up too. Then it stopped. 

"I counted 12." 

"Midnight?", Finnick asked. 

"Or the number of districts." 

Out of sudden they heard a machine powering up in the distance, then there was thunder. Grace watched the lighting crashing into the big tree. 

"Well." The blonde man sighed. "If you're not gonna sleep, I will." 

"Okay." 

He stood up and laid down next to Grace, causing her to raise her brows. 

"What do you want?" He didn't answer. She laid down on her back, while he laid on his side with his back to her. 

Grace knew she was safe around him. She closed her eyes, letting the tiredness take over.

~~~

Katniss was screaming.

Grace and Finnick jolted both awake. Blush rose upon their cheeks as they realized that his arms were laying around her waist and he was holding her from behind. They quickly stood up, collected their weapons and ran.

"Run! Run! The fog is poison!" Before Finnick could take Mags on his back, Grace did out of reflex and started running after Katniss, he following. 

Grace was fast, she went jogging everyday. But Mags was a weight, so it made her slower, but so would have Finnick. He passed her and looked at her with fear in his face. 

"I got her, run!" 

The fog came closer. 

Grace her legs were already surrounded by the fog, making it harder for to run. It burned like hell. 

She screamed, causing Finnick to turn around in despair. Suddenly Katniss fell, Peeta helped her up and got touched by the fog too. Both screamed. 

"God! Ah God!" 

The fog touched Finnick. 

Grace fell down and lost Mags.

"Mags, please, please! Come on! Come on!" The white-haired woman climbed on Finnick's back, while Grace got completely surrounded by the fog.

"Grace?" Finnick turned around for a second, but was only faced with fog. "Grace!" Mags slapped his shoulder and he continued running. 

They reached Peeta and Katniss, who were on the ground. "I can't carry him." Mags got off his back and kissed Finnick, then walked directly into the fog.  "Mags? Mags? Mags!" Finnick wanted to run after her, but Katniss stopped him. "Finnick." 

"MAGS!" 

"Finnick, we have to go. We have to get outta here. We have to go." Finnick turned around and got back into reality. "All right, come on, come on." Both helped Peeta standing up and tried walking so fast away as they could.

The fog reached them quickly, the three of them falling down the hill with burning bodies.

Katniss turned around. The fog came nearer, then it stopped and faded away. She let their heads fall off the exhaust. 

Minutes passed.

Minutes passed as they laid there, coughing and starting to fell numb because of the pain.

~~~

Grace Lee stumbled out of the forest, reaching the little lake the others reached. Her whole body was covered in bubbles except her face. She looked at Finnick, who laid on the ground, crumbled into a ball and having a hard time breathing. Then she saw how Katniss climbed to the water. 

"Finnick, come on." She spoke, trying to drag Finnick to the water. 

Katniss screamed. "The water! The water helps." 

"Come on." Grace dragged Finnick all the way to the water, both groaning at the touch. 

Slowly she sat him down onto the water and then knelt down next to him, her hands on his shoulder. Finnick's whole neck was full. She lifted her arms and washed the bubbles with shaky hands away, while Finnick groaned out of pain. His hands gripped tightly onto her waist, needing the hold.

"I'm nearly done. Stay strong." She whispered, her voice shaky.

Peeta and Katniss were already finished, standing up. "We need our weapons. Go get them." The Everdeen spoke to the boy. Peeta ran away, while Katniss continued washing her own bubbles.

After some time, Grace was done and stood up, then sat down deeper in the little lake and washed her own bubbles off.

Finnick couldn't help but stare at the beauty next to him.

She helped him.
He left her alone in the fog.
She still helped him.
She saved Peeta's life.
She came alive out of the fog again.

"You're alive." He breathed out, the pressure he didn't notice leaving him.

"Looks like it." Grace turned around to face him and gave him a warm smile, before breaking her gaze away again.

 Finnick sat there for a second, before moving to sit next to her and slowly lifted his hands, directing to the bubbles on her neck. A little nod escaped her before he carefully started moving his wet hands over her neck, trying and hoping not to hurt her.

"I'm sorry about Mags."

Katniss brought up. Finnick looked down, so did the blond woman. 

"She was never gonna make it. So.." 

He stayed quiet.