9. The Start Of A Love Saga

After having a great conversation with Damien, Amber walked out of the department building and headed towards her dorm room. Just then, she heard a voice behind her saying, "Amber." She turned back and saw a girl standing behind her with a nervous smile.

"Hey," she stumbled. "Yes?" Amber looked at her scared face. "I need your help," she sighed. "What kind of help? As I am a new student here, I don't think I can help you much, but I will try my best," Amber smiled.

"I know you are a witch," the girl spoke, taking a deep breath, which shocked Amber a bit. She raised her eyebrows and looked at her. "And I know Damien is a vampire," she uttered, keeping her eyes closed. Amber looked at her unbelievably. "And how do you know this?" she couldn't resist asking the girl.

"I... I am Kate, Damien's girlfriend," the girl stammered. "Oh," Amber couldn't figure out what to say. "And I need your help," Kate pleaded. "Come with me," Amber rolled her eyes and started walking. Kate quietly followed her.

Within a few minutes, both girls reached a quiet and deserted place on campus, where no other students or staff could reach. There was a broken bench where both girls seated themselves.

"So now, tell me," Amber asked Kate. "I want you to help me make Damien a better person," Kate spoke. "Well, girl, my job description doesn't say that I make people better, and secondly, Damien isn't a human. He is a vampire, moreover, a bloodsucking moron," Amber scoffed. "I know that, I know all of it. And I know he is a bloodsucking moron, but still, after knowing everything, I do want you to help me make him a better version of himself," she pleaded. "Why are you so inclined to do that?" Amber asked.

"Because I love him," she lowered her eyes. "I can clearly see it's not just love; it's something else," Amber rolled her eyes. "Fine," Kate sighed, "I am at his mercy so that he doesn't kill me." "What kind of mercy?" Amber raised her eyebrows.

"You see, it was the first day of college when I saw Professor Damien. He was hot, handsome, and seemed like a dream guy to me. I wanted to woo him, I wanted him wrapped around my fingers, as I was the most beautiful girl in our department and also the mean one," Kate started confessing everything. "You have seen movies based on college romances, I think, where there is a girl who is mean, bossy, bitchy, rude, arrogant, a bully, and whatever, yet she is hot and all the guys run behind her. She gets any guy she wants. I was exactly like that," she smiled miserably, "and so I wanted Damien wrapped around my fingers as my boyfriend slash pet. I didn't even care that he was my professor. So I tried to do everything to woo him, but he didn't even care to look at me," Kate chuckled. "There's a saying where they say that if out of ten people, nine are absolutely in love with you, you will still fall for the tenth one who will not even look at you. That happened to me; eventually, I fell in love with Damien, and I fell so hard that I was ready to do anything to get him. But one day, I saw him feeding on a guy. I got the shock of my life when I saw that, and it scared me to the core," an unknown fright appeared on Kate's face. "He saw me, and now I know his truth. He was about to kill me when I made a deal with him," she lowered her eyes.

"What deal?" Amber asked. "I pleaded with him not to kill me and instead, I would behave like his slave forever. I would listen to everything he says. I would serve him and even become his personal blood bank. But he would have to enter a relationship with me," she confessed, and Amber looked at her in disbelief. "He liked the idea, so he agreed to it, and then all of this has continued. I pretend to be his naive girlfriend who is so much in love with him, while he is a casanova boy sleeping with other girls and cheating on me. In reality, I am just alive at his mercy," Kate ended her sentence.

Amber was startled; she was in disbelief and couldn't figure out what she should say. She was irritated and frustrated as well. "Girl, get a life. All of the shit you said is toxic AF, and you will get nothing out of it," Amber finally spoke. "I mean, this is blatant stupidity, and I can do nothing about it. He isn't into you; that's why he sleeps with other women and is ruthless to you. I don't find a single fault of Damien in this. He is a vampire, and they are heartless predators. You wanted him to be yours, so you brought all of this messed-up shit, and now when you are suffering, you are asking me for help?" Amber scolded. "I mean, yeah, it's my duty to protect the innocent ones, especially humans, from evil ones like vampires and demons, but girl, you are no innocent being here. All of the suffering you are experiencing right now is because of you only. You messed with a demon, and so you are suffering. You could have asked him to compel you and make you forget everything, but you bought this shit," she was completely angry.

"But please, listen to me," Kate cried. "Look, Kate, it's my job to punish Damien whenever he does something wrong, and I will surely punish him for that. But in your case, I cannot see a single fault in that vampire," Amber explained and stood up from her seat.

"Get this straight, all of this you told me, it's completely toxic, and all of this looks good in movies and books only. It's an absolute disaster when it happens in reality, and this is what is happening to you. I am sorry, but I cannot help you," Amber told Kate and walked away from there. Meanwhile, Kate was left there, crying.

Amber walked out of the deserted space towards her dorm room. "Humans are equally stupid and horrendous as these predators," she told herself while walking.

As she was about to reach her dormitory building, her eyes fell on Brian, who was sitting quietly on the same bench. Seeing him sad and in pain, Amber felt angry at Damien. "I wish I could brutally murder you, Damien," she scoffed and walked towards Brian.

As Amber was about to reach the bench, Damien appeared before him. She stopped and angrily glared at Damien, but he didn't notice her.

"Hey you, homeless failure," Damien rudely yelled. "Ye... Yes, sir," Brian stammered. Damien threw a pair of keys near Brian's feet. "Take it, the keys for your dorm room. The college has finally decided to show some mercy on you and give you a place to live," Damien rolled his eyes. "Now, take your filthy stuff and go to your room," he scoffed and walked away from there, while Brian stood there in disbelief.

Brian bent down and picked up the keys, staring at them. He smiled, a genuine smile. Amber was looking at him, all the anger she felt vanished for the moment as she saw Brian smiling. She didn't understand when and how, but she found herself smiling as well. "Finally, you are getting shelter," she whispered to herself and turned around to walk away.

"Amber," Brian's voice echoed as she was about to leave. Amber turned, and her eyes met Brian's. Brian smiled, and this time, he smiled with his whole heart as he rushed towards her and hugged her tightly.

"You were right, hugging someone does heal the pain," Brian spoke while hugging her. Amber hugged him back, "I told you," she smiled as she tightened her grip. "Thank you so much; you are like an angel to me," he seemed to beam with joy. "Hmm," Amber sheepishly replied.

Tears of joy fell from her eyes as she held him tight in her embrace. And somehow, this marked the start of an epic saga of love.