14. Pain?

"A suitor?" Amber's voice seemed to get stuck in her throat as she replied, "Yes, a suitor," Angela replied. "You have to marry before you are crowned as the queen. This is the most necessary ritual," she explained to Amber. "But a warlock? I mean, I know warlocks are meant to marry witches, but still," she asked Angela.

"I don't understand why you are asking this, but you are the future queen of our coven, and so you have to marry someone equally or more powerful than you. That's how you can benefit the coven, Amber. So it's necessary," Angela replied. "So is it all about the coven and its benefit? What about me?" Amber immediately snapped.

Angela was confused by her daughter's sudden outburst. She couldn't understand the reason behind it, which further confused her.

"Well, it's the duty of a queen to do whatever it requires for the benefit of its people. A queen should always put her people before herself," Angela calmly replied. Amber was muzzled by Angela's words. She didn't know what to say now. A lot of things started running through her mind.

"Okay, I will call you back, Mom. I have assignments to do," Amber replied and hung up the call. She threw her phone on the bed and then started roaming here and there in the room. A lot of things were going through her head, and she wasn't able to reach any conclusions.

"What the heck was I doing with Brian?" she finally settled herself on the bed and held her head. "How could I make out with him and start developing feelings for him, knowing that I am not allowed to do that? I will be going against my coven and my duties by doing that," she sighed.

"No, no. I have to stop myself. I have to stop myself from getting closer to him. I cannot go against my family, my people. I am a witch, and a witch needs a warlock beside her, not a human," she told herself.

After thinking for a while, she finally made up her mind that she would end whatever she had with Brian. As she stood up to walk towards Brian's room, flashes of him crying and almost begging in front of her appeared before her.

"Please, please don't do this to me again. Please, don't break my heart. Please, don't desert me like she did. Don't push me into the darkness again, please. Don't ever break my heart. I will die if all of this repeats." The words of Brian echoed in her head, and she couldn't get the voice out of her head.

All of a sudden, a sudden fright appeared on her face. The thought of Brian in pain scared her. She couldn't bear it. She immediately panicked and clutched her hair.

"No, what was I doing? I cannot desert Brian. He will die if I do that. I cannot be the reason for his death. I cannot leave him," she immediately cried, and as she was crying, the candles that had been lighting her room went off, leaving the room completely dark.

"I cannot leave Brian. I have started to love him, and I cannot desert him like that. I will stand by him," she cried as she thought about the mess she was in.

On the other side,

Daimen was sitting quietly in his room, thinking about something. Kate approached him as she saw him so quiet.

"Baby," she called Daimen in a soft voice. "Hmm," he replied plainly. "You seem upset. Did anything happen?" she asked in a concerned voice. "No, nothing," Daimen replied.

Kate sighed and then looked around. She finally took a deep breath and walked towards him. She tied her hair in a ponytail so that she could expose her bare neck to him and then sat in front of him.

"Here, you can feed on me. You must be hungry," she spoke. Daimen looked at Kate and then looked at her bare neck. He smirked and moved closer to her. Kate took a deep breath and then closed her eyes. Daimen smiled.

As Kate thought he was about to feed on her, she was surprised when she felt her hair near her neck. She immediately opened her eyes and witnessed that Daimen had untied her ponytail to let her hair down and then sat beside her. Kate was completely taken aback, and she looked at him with confusion. Daimen smiled.

"I won't feed on you anymore," Daimen calmly replied. "What... What?" Kate was astonished. "Yes," Daimen replied. Kate immediately turned towards Daimen and looked into his eyes.

"Babe, you are acting differently for the past few days. Did anything happen? Because you were not like this. Did Amber do something?" she bombarded him with questions. "Calm down, she didn't do anything," Daimen sighed as he cupped her face. "But yeah, she is the reason why I am acting a bit different or trying to make myself a better person," he smiled as he spoke after a pause.

"What do you mean?" Kate asked curiously. Daimen took a deep breath. "I think you should know," he replied. "Almost two months ago, I bowed down before Amber to give her full authority over me," he spoke. "You what?" Kate immediately snapped, shocked. "Yeah, I bowed down in front of her and kind of submitted myself to her," he confessed. "But what does it mean?" she immediately asked.

"Look, we vampires have full control over ourselves. We don't have anyone we are responsible to, like the wolves and witches. So we are the rulers of our minds and actions. We can kill anyone, torture anyone, or feed on anyone, whoever we like, except one," Daimen spoke. "Except whom?" Kate immediately asked.

"You see, there is one certain individual in front of whom a vampire feels weak or powerless. No matter what, he cannot feed on or kill that person, and he understands this after meeting the person a few times. And after that, the vampire decides to bow down in front of that individual to provide him or her full authority over the vampire so that the individual can control the vampire's actions," he spoke. "Is this necessary?" Kate asked.

"No, it isn't. The vampire chooses to provide the individual with the authority or not," he continued. "For me, it was Amber. At first, I was shocked, as I hated her from the core of my heart and wanted to kill her. But since it was impossible to kill her, I decided to take the other way around and bowed before her for my own selfish reasons," he spoke.

"What reasons?" Kate asked. "Amber had clearly warned me that if I made another mistake or hurt someone else, she would kill me, and I didn't want to die. I have made certain enemies throughout the time as well who would love to kill me. So I thought, what if I bow down in front of her? If I do that, she cannot kill me, and she is bound to protect me from my enemies, and I just have to follow her orders. So I bowed in front of her," he smiled.

Kate was surprised. She didn't have any idea that something like this could happen.

"But that girl," Daimen smirked as he continued. "The aura she has, the power and the fierceness she possesses. She can change any person. She can make the evilest person a saint. Her words and actions have so much strength, not to mention her magical powers," he chuckled.

"As I submitted to her, I had to follow her orders, so we spent some time together. And slowly, she started to change my mindset. Almost a month ago..." Daimen continued.

Flashback

Amber and Daimen were strolling around an empty area on the campus.

"So what's going on between you and Kate?" Amber asked out of nowhere. "Well, it's nothing much," Daimen was bound to tell the truth. "She claims that she loves me and will be my slave, doing whatever I ask her to do, and in return, I won't kill her. She promised that she won't expose my secret, so I agreed. It was beneficial for me, as I could use her for sex, get work done, and feed on her whenever I want," he continued. "So for the world, we are in a relationship, whereas, in reality, she is kind of my slave," Daimen spoke.

"Well, Kate had told me her side of the story, and since both sides sound almost the same, I conclude that this is the truth, and I do feel Kate deserves whatever she is getting. But do you know how much it hurts when you feed on someone?" Amber asked as she looked at him.

"No," Daimen replied. "Well, it's time you should feel it," Amber winked and then snapped her fingers.

And within no time, Daimen felt a sharp pain in his neck.

"Ouch!" he cried.