Chapter 5

My parents finally left, and as I suspected, they really did not eat much. They mostly watched us eat, and then my mom insisted on washing the dishes before they left.

"Your family is very lively. You guys look very close."

"Lively, is that code for loud, overwhelming, or noisy? It's OK, to be honest. My mom has heard all those in her lifetime."

"No, I mean lively. I hardly eat with my parents because when we sit together over a meal, we always end up talking about my grades, dreams, and everything they wish I would change. So I hardly ever sit with them over a meal. Actually, I hardly ever go home."

"That cannot be nice. It seems your parents have made a negative name for themselves from the way my dad reacted earlier."

"They are very strict and set in their own ways. Like I said, I need to graduate so I can go work far away from them."

I wanted to ask him about his brother, but I don't want any more burdensome conversations.

"I am going to go pack my room and then work on my assignments. So if I don't see you again tonight, goodnight."

"Yeah, I also need to hit the books. You saw where everything is in the kitchen, right?"

"More like I saw where everything should be. You really don't have much to eat or drink. By the way, my mom stocked the fridge for us. So don't be afraid to fix anything.

As I was walking towards my room, there was a knock at our door.

"Are you expecting someone?"

I asked him cause I don't know anyone around here.

"Maybe your parents forgot something."

Oh, that makes sense.

I went to the door and opened it. Definitely not my parents, and the guest was rather rude.

It's Yibo's fiancé,  and she was trying to push past me to come inside.

"Please greet and acknowledge the person who so kindly opened the door for you.

"I am not in the mood, move."

I am tired, I have assignments to work on, and I am not in the mood either.

"Yibo, your fiancé is here. Good night."

I walked towards my room and closed the door. I'm not in the mood for Cat fight.

...........

"What do you want so late in the evening?"

"Yibo, are you serious about staying with him? You wouldn't even consider staying with Jili, for 3 years he asked you, and you refused. Now, this unknown guy rocks up and gets a yes? How is that even right?"

"Did you come all this way to interrogate me about my decisions? Is that also the reason you were rude to him? Because you feel like he just rocked up and got a yes?"

"I wasn't being rude. Why was he acting like he owned this place anyway?"

"Well, he pays rent, and you don't, so technically, he has more rights than you do when it comes to being here. With him here, I won't have to relay on my parents sending me money. The rent he pays is what I will use to cover my living expenses."

"Is that all there is to it?"

"What do you mean, of course, that's all there is to it. What do you think will happen, we are both guys for crying out loud. Can you please relax."

"I was just worried because earlier, I followed you after you left just like that, and I saw you two hugs...for a very long time."

"So, I am not allowed to hug people now?"