:::::Chapter 44:::::

When I reach the end, I'm left shocked at the sight before me. I see Anne struggling in the hold of four men while Kurt turns to face me. "Welcome Beta Chriselda Turner. You're right on time," he says with a sinister smile.

"How do you know my name?" I ask, trying to gain some time to think how I can get Anne out of here unharmed.

"How can I not know the name of the first female Beta?" He says.

"What are you planning to do with Anne?" I ask. I may have a slight chance against fighting five men but there's no guarantee that I'll win.

"Why don't you see for yourself?"

"Don't you dare touch her!" I threaten him.

"What if I do?" He asks in a challenging tone.

"Your fight is with Alarick, not with his sister," I say.

"You know, I'm capable of hurting him but I don't want to hurt him just physically. I want to hurt him emotionally just like he hurt me by killing my father," Kurt says. The man before me has lost his sanity. He continues with a venomous tone, "I still can't believe that a kid killed a strong Alpha." He pauses. "Alarick killed my father. Now, I'll kill his sister." Before Kurt can strike at Anne, I grab his arm and throw him away with as much force as I can manage. I won't let him hurt my Luna.

I do the same thing with the four men holding Anne. While Kurt and his men are recovering from my attack, I rush to Anne to check up on her. There are bruises on her hands and legs where Kurt's men were holding her. I look at her. There's so much fear in her eyes. When she looks at me, she burst into tears. I hug her to calm her down. "I won't let anything happen to you," I tell her.

Soon, I get pulled away by Kurt's men while Anne screams my name. Kurt's men start punching and kicking me while I try to block them. I try to attack them as well as defend myself. Soon, Kurt joins his men in fighting me. I try to fight them with all of my strength.

Blood, bruises, wounds, cuts and broken bones. That's my condition. But my enemies are in worse condition which is a good thing for me.

After the fight, Kurt and his men are on the ground groaning in pain while I try to steady myself. "Are you okay?" Anne asks as she rushes towards me with a worried expression on her face. Before I can respond, her eyes grow wide and she screams, "Chriselda, look back!"

Before I can turn around, I feel a jab at my neck. I take out the syringe from my neck and examine it. Suddenly, I feel my system shutting down. I turn around slowly and seeing the blurry figure of Kurt running away. What did that prick inject me with?

The syringe falls from my hand as I feel the world spinning around me. I fall on the ground as the weakness overwhelms my body. I hear the faint scream of Anne. As I lie on the ground, I try to fight the darkness that is ready to consume me. I'm trying so hard to keep my eyes open because I know that if I let my eyes close then I'll not be able to open them ever again.

From my blurry vision, I see Anne shifting into a wolf. Soon, I find myself lying on her back and we head out of the cave. I watch the wilderness of the forest pass me by in a blur as Anne runs with all her might. I don't know where she is taking me but I hope to get there soon before all my strength leaves my body.

After running for a while, we enter into a familiar territory. The territory of her pack, the Dawnfall Depths. Anne runs past the houses and stops in front of the pack house. From the corner of my eye, I see people gathering around us. I look ahead of me and the first person that I see is my Alpha, Matt, coming out of the pack house with a look of panic across his face which is enough to tell me that I'm in the worst condition. I must be looking like a mess. I jump off from Anne's back using all my strength. Thankfully, I land on my feet rather than on my face. I try to walk towards Matt. I want to tell him that I kept my promise. I didn't let anything happen to his mate.

After I take the first step, everything happens in slow motion. I hear the people gasp around me as I start falling. I hear Matt scream my name as he runs towards me to catch me. Before I can close my eyes, I see another person rushing towards me. Is that Alarick? Why does he look worried?

He can't be worried for me, right?

Before I can think further about it, I feel all of my strength leaving my body. And I finally close my eyes.

Author's Note: Firstly, I would like to inform people that yes, I did publish Chapter 44 a few days back but I had taken it down for editing purposes. If you would've been following me then you would've known since I notified all my followers through a common message. If there is any problem with this story then I will surely notify my followers. So, if you want to remain up-to-date with this story then follow me.

Secondly, this story crossed 1 million reads. Thank you so much for your support! Virtual hugs and kisses! :)