:::::Chapter 20:::::

"Is the truth really that bad that you need to lie?" Matt asks me.

I sigh. I decide to tell him the truth because he's my friend and I don't think I'll be able to lie to him. "Today, Alarick called me an impostor."

"What!" He exclaims in shock. "How could he! You're his mate!"

"He doesn't think so," I say.

"If he doesn't respect you, then why are you even staying here? Come with me back to our pack."

"I knew you would say that. That's the reason why I didn't want to tell you the truth in the first place."

Matt stands up and says, "Alarick doesn't deserve you! Come with me. He'll only realize what he has lost when you're gone."

"Matt, I have made up my mind. I'm not going to return to my pack until and unless I know why Alarick is denying me," I say.

"When will he tell you the reason?"

"He won't tell me. I'll have to find out myself."

"How long will it take for you to find out?"

"I don't know."

Matt sits beside me again. "Chriselda, Joshua is conspiring something against you. If you don't return to our pack within a few days then I'm afraid that he'll do something drastic," he says, trying to make me understand.

"Is there any time when Joshua isn't conspiring against me?" I ask sarcastically.

"Chriselda, I'm serious!"

"Why are you?" I ask. "It's just Joshua," I say coolly. "There's nothing to worry about."

"You're not realizing that Joshua is a potential threat."

"Threat?" I ask, humor evident in my voice.

"He can be a threat to your position and also to our pack," he answers seriously. "If he becomes the Beta of our pack then all hell will break loose."

"He will not become the Beta," I assure Matt.

"How can you be so sure about that?" He asks.

I place my hands on his shoulders and say, "Because you won't let him."

"I don't want him to become my Beta but what if he makes the majority of people side along with him? Then, I'll have to take people's consideration into account."

"If that happens then I'm going to make sure that Joshua doesn't become your Beta," I say confidently.

"How are you going to do that?" He asks.

"You will come to know when the time is right," I say. "Now, I don't want to talk about my greedy cousin anymore. Let's talk about someone else."

"Like who?" Matt asks.

"Like...," I pretend to think for a while and then say, "...Anne."

His ears stand in attention at the mention of his mate. He seems interested and excited now. "What about her?" He asks, trying to make it less obvious by toning down his excitement level.

I bring my lips near his ear and whisper, "I know she's your mate."

He is taken aback by my words. He is shocked but then soon recovers. He gives out a nervous laugh and says, "She's not my mate."

"Matt, you're my friend. I know when you lie and I can tell that you are lying right now," I tell him.

"Okay," he says as he nods his head. "How did you know?"