:::::Chapter 14:::::

I get up from the bed and proceed to open the door. When I open it, I am surprised to see Charles standing in front of me. "Hi," he says, giving me a smile.

"Hey, what are you doing here?" I curiously ask. Seriously, what is he doing here in the middle of the night?

"I just wanted to talk to you," he answers. "I hope I didn't wake you up."

"No, you didn't. Come in," I say, inviting him inside my room. He enters and I close the door. I switch on the lights and find Charles sitting on my bed. I join him. "So, what do you want to talk to me?" I ask.

"I thought that you left our pack when you didn't come back to our pack house," he confesses. "I thought you became tired of Alarick's behavior and left our pack for good."

"I admit that I'm tired of Alarick's behavior but I won't go back that easily," I say.

He nods. "I'm glad to hear that you won't give up that easily."

"Giving up is not in my dictionary," I reply, trying to lighten up the mood. Charles gives me a small smile.

We sit in silence for a few seconds before Charles decides to speak up. "Chriselda, you are our only hope of getting us the old Alarick back," he says seriously.

"Charles, I've heard that a lot. Mr. West has said that and now you're saying that. But I honestly don't know how to give you all your old Alarick back."

"When we all came to know that Alarick has finally found his mate, we were so happy and we all thought that a mate in his life would change him for good but..." he trails off.

"But nothing like that happened," I finish for him.

"Yeah."

"Charles," I start to say, trying to make him understand. "Alarick and I are not your usual mates. So, he won't change just because of me."

"You both may not seem like the usual mates but you are," he says.

"What do you mean?" I confusingly ask.

"Chriselda, did you ever wonder why Alarick and I were fighting brutally today in the training ground?" he asks.

"I thought that you guys fight like that in every training practice," I say.

"No. Today was the first time that we were fighting like that otherwise we fight in a sensible way," he says. Then he goes on to say, "Today was the first time that I felt as if I was going to die. I was almost scared when I looked in Alarick's furious eyes."

"You didn't look scared when you were fighting with him."

"That's because I was busy saving myself from getting killed."

"Why would Alarick want to kill you?" I ask confusingly.

Charles looks at me with an unbelievable expression on his face. "You are seriously asking me that?" I don't say anything since I'm unsure of why he's asking me that question. "Today in the morning, Alarick saw his mate exiting his Beta's room. And today, in the training ground, Alarick wanted to hurt his Beta. I don't think you'll take time to figure out two and two together," he says.

"You mean to say that Alarick wanted to hurt you just because he saw me exiting your room?" I ask.

"Yeah. It made Alarick quite jealous."

"He denies to be my mate and gets jealous at the same time. What the hell!" I exclaim in anger.

"You're his mate so he's bound to get jealous when he sees you with another man. That's the reason why I think that you both are no different than other usual mates," Charles explains.